1st human photographer on Mars

1 year 10 months ago #737671 by yellowlabpetphoto
It'll be a chance of a lifetime for sure!!! But no thanks :) My favourite subjects are dogs and there's no dogs on Mars, so I'll pass. LOL
Would I do it for the money and a definite ticket home? Dunno

1 year 10 months ago #737673 by CharleyL
"50 years ago would have been a one way trip!  LOL " Not necessarily. We went to the Moon, soft landed, and then came back. Similar could have been done, but the trip would have been much longer.

I worked on the Lunar Ranger, Apollo, Skylab, and early Space Shuttle missions. It could have been done, if the backing to do it was there. We just wanted to get to the Moon before Russia and had no backing to go farther back then. Less risky today? Likely much less, but now backing is building to do it, where it didn't exist 50 years ago.

Charley

1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #737674 by Nikon Shooter

David Dettman wrote: $1,000,000?  Hell yeah.  You will become famous overnight!  

Lots of famous and rich people never made it alive back home! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #737747 by Photo Junky
True, but like each 'first' exploration, IF you weight the risks and decided to flip the coin, you would go down in history books.  Heck your photos could be used in the history books.

Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #737823 by Brody Kross
If they had means of getting off Mars, yeah I'd be all over this.  

1 year 10 months ago #738062 by Jacko
Sure, for fame and excitement?  Yeah if I know I'll be able to come home. 

Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738185 by JaneK
No way, not me.   

Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738191 by Hassner
A trip to Mars, 9 months. 
Three months to line up for earth.
Nine months back. 
21 Months... 

Maybe. 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738264 by Norse Photographer
3 months to line up from earth?  I don't get that figure Hassner?

1 million tax FREE for life?  I'd go.  

1 year 9 months ago #738398 by KenMan
So when is the first human trip to Mars supposed to be kicking off?  

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #738488 by Sanford
As I understand from a few years back, 2025 is the big year for Mars 

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #738489 by Sanford
Well, I found some more information on that.  Seems there are two dates floating around: 2026 and 2029.

"The orbits of Mars and Earth line up for an effective mission every 26 months, and Musk hopes to use them all from now on, starting with unmanned tests in 2018 and sending the first people to Mars in 2026." [font=BBC Reith Serif, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] www.bbcearth.com/news/will-we-ever-set-foot-on-mars

[/font]and 

from March of this year: "Last Wednesday, Musk announced on Twitter that the new date for man to finally set foot on Mars would be 2029, exactly 60 years after the first moon landing was achieved in 1969."  www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/us-news/2022/...a474106568b456d.html

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #738608 by Ian Stone
+1, not happening till 2028 or so 

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #738673 by Crammer
Keep an eye on what they are doing in Texas, they are moving fast to get to Mars 

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #738752 by Terryms
I try to be open to different opportunities so this suggestion would be nice for me. The other thing is that my health could be not as good as needed... but taking pictures of Mars would give me a huge progress 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024