What makes a camera a Pro Camera?

1 year 11 months ago #736565 by TCav
(This was inspired by another topic which is no longer accessible.)

My thinking is that the manufacturer's support for a camera is what makes it "PRO" or not.

To be sure, features like a shutter speed faster than 1/4000 certainly qualify, but manufacturer's support in the way of accessories should be a criterion. For instance, Nikon's D7200 had an available vertical grip/battery pack, but its replacement, the D7500, didn't. Therefore, for my money, the D7200 was "PRO" while its replacement was not.

And reliance on third parties can patch together a "PRO" kit, but if the manufacturer doesn't think enough of their product to support it with its own doodads and knickknacks, then it was never intended to be "PRO".

What do you think?

1 year 11 months ago #736566 by Nikon Shooter
The integration in a system is key to me. I would not go the DX way
anyhow because the system around that format is not wide enough
for my needs… just me.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #736569 by TCav

Nikon Shooter wrote: I would not go the DX way anyhow because the system around that format is not wide enough for my needs… just me.

My perception is that the DX system is (was) actually broader than the FX system... just me.

1 year 11 months ago #736574 by Shadowfixer1
The person using it makes it a pro camera or not.
1 year 11 months ago #736575 by TCav

Shadowfixer1 wrote: The person using it makes it a pro camera or not.

A pro can take great photos with any camera. My question was about what features attract a pro to a particular camera.

1 year 11 months ago #736659 by db3348
For me ,  it's a solid, reliable build quality,  as well as the ability to fine tune settings .

db3348

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #736724 by Crazyguy

TCav wrote:

Nikon Shooter wrote: I would not go the DX way anyhow because the system around that format is not wide enough for my needs… just me.

My perception is that the DX system is (was) actually broader than the FX system... just me.

I'm not following you on this, can you expound more on your thought behind?

:thx2:

An Irishman is not drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass to keep from falling off the world.
Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #736729 by TCav

Crazyguy wrote:

TCav wrote: My perception is that the DX system is (was) actually broader than the FX system... just me.

I'm not following you on this, can you expound more on your thought behind?

DX cameras can use everything FX cameras can, plus all the stuff that DX cameras can use but FX cameras can't.

1 year 11 months ago #736734 by Shadowfixer1

TCav wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: The person using it makes it a pro camera or not.

A pro can take great photos with any camera. My question was about what features attract a pro to a particular camera.

The type of pro using the camera determines what is most important. Sports and wildlife require features that a wedding/portrait photographer don't need and vice versa. A combat/street photographer may require something different. As far as DX vs. FX, I don't see an advantage for DX. Everything you need is available for FX and if you are talking lenses, then many DX lenses are lower quality so that takes the availability advantage away. 
1 year 11 months ago #736736 by TCav

Shadowfixer1 wrote: As far as DX vs. FX, I don't see an advantage for DX. Everything you need is available for FX and if you are talking lenses, then many DX lenses are lower quality so that takes the availability advantage away. 

But some DX lenses are better than anything FX users have. Case in point is the Tamron 17-50/2.8 (A16), which is better than anybody's 24-70/2.8 on anybody's 'Full Frame' body, not to mention the fact that FX lenses are better on DX bodies because DX bodies crop off distortion, vignetting, chromatic aberration and field curvature that appear when they're used with FX bodies.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024