What do I need to fire off 3 flashes with one camera body?

1 week 6 days ago #737465 by Dana Beasley
To trigger 3 flashes, what do I need in order to pull this off?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week 6 days ago #737467 by Nikon Shooter
If you are using Nikon flashes, there is an option to trigger one
as master and the others as slaves.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 week 6 days ago #737469 by Nikon Shooter
ADDENDUM

I also use solutions from Profoto and PoketWizard.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 week 4 days ago - 1 week 4 days ago #737570 by CharleyL
What camera and flashes do you already have? Better replies can be provided if we know what you are starting with.

I changed my flash system the the Godox X control system about 2 years ago. A flash control transmitter for the hot shoe of my camera, and then Godox speedlites and strobes that contain the receivers. At this point I have 4 transmitters and 12 flashes that operate on the X system, which operates on the high end of the WIFI allotted operating radio frequencies, so quite noise and interference free.  Godox also makes receivers that can be added to other brands of lights so they can be used with the Godox X system and different transmitters for use with different popular brands of cameras. Godox and Flashpoint brands are the same and work together.  Before switching to the X system, I had a hodge podge of several brands of lights with work arounds to use them together and suffered frequent failures. Since switching, I have not had a single equipment failure. Operator failure, yes. But not a failure caused by the equipment. 

The Godox and Flashpoint X System Speedlites can also be set up to operate as a transmitter on your camera with or without it operating it's flash, while additional can be set up as receivers controlled by the one on the camera.

Charley

1 week 3 days ago #737623 by CharleyL
Actually, most speedlites and studio strobes respond to a flash, any flash from a source (camera flash) nearby. I just tried the flash on my cell phone and it can cause my presently set up studio flashes to trigger with the flash from my cell phone. Optical triggering like this, is very dependent on line-of-sight for it to work reliably, and I haven't used it for years, but radio controlled flash control like the Godox X System, is much more dependable.

Then there is the sync cord method of controlling multiple flashes from the camera by connecting them all together and to the camera sync output, provided that one exists on your camera. Most new cameras don't any longer even have a sync connector. This works well, if the connectors exist, but the wiring between everything quickly becomes a trip hazard.

Charley

1 week 1 day ago #737738 by Dana Beasley
Sorry for late reply, I was traveling.  This is actually for a friend.  She has Canon R6 and the flashes are Canons.  Honestly I don't recall which model of flashes, I just remember they were Canons.  

thank you!

5 days 17 hours ago #737852 by CharleyL
A Godox  X Pro c transmitter and then a Godox X1Rc receiver for each of the Canon flashes would give you full control of each of the Canon flashes from the Godox  X Pro c attached to the camera. An alternate to the X Pro c transmitter is an X2T c at slightly less money. 

X Pro Transmitter for Canon Camera -

amazon.com/Godox-TTL-Convert-Manual-Dedicated-Customizable-Functions/dp/B075QGFZ84/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1VY9H8HA3OX57&keywords=godox+xpro+canon&qid=1652721875&sprefix=godox+xpro+%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-3

Cheaper Transmitter for Canon Camera -

amazon.com/Godox-Bluetooth-Connection-Relocated-Control-Wheel/dp/B07S1THV79/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1J5C60TO6E4J6&keywords=godox+x2t+canon&qid=1652721951&sprefix=godox+x2T+%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-3

Receiver to be added to each Canon flash (you will need 3 of these for 3 Canon speedlights - 

amazon.com/Godox-Wireless-Receiver-Compatible-Cameras/dp/B0768WYPGB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=XF03TI8T1EG9&keywords=godox+x1r+-c&qid=1652722007&sprefix=godox+x1r+-c%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-3

If all you want to do is manually adjust each flash and then trigger them with the camera, if the camera has a sync output port, buying sync cables long enough to connect the camera to the first flash and then to each other flash will cause all of them to fire when the camera takes the picture. Since I don't know the models of the existing flashes or the camera, I have no idea if this can be done or not.

There are cheap radio flash units that will only trigger the flashes. They come in a group of receivers and one flash transmitter. All they do it trigger the flashes, with no ability to adjust them from the camera.

One of them is here -

amazon.com/Neewer-Speedlite-Including-Transmitter-Receivers/dp/B074PRC82K/ref=sr_1_51?crid=UBJPIDGB2A9&keywords=flash+remote+trigger&qid=1652722365&sprefix=flash+remote+trigger%2Caps%2C95&sr=8-51

Charley

3 days 5 hours ago #737957 by Colorado Mike
Pocket Wizard 

Photo Comments

2 days 12 hours ago #738015 by CharleyL
"Pocket Wizard "

Yes, but at higher cost than the Godox alternative.

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Looking for Best Budget Camera of 2022? Here’s my pick- Sony ZV-1. This best budget camera is loaded with features that give it lots of bang for your buck.

Feb 18, 2022

This Fujifilm X-Pro 2 vs X-Pro 3 comparison review explores the similarities and differences between these cameras so you can decide which best fits your needs.

Dec 13, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Not sure what to give someone as a photography gift? Why not a personalized photo book? Check these great options out!

May 19, 2022

Having the skills to take portraits is essential to your success. Buy you also need the right portrait photography gear to help you bring your vision to life.

May 18, 2022

The best wedding photography gear is functional and utilitarian, but also looks good. This leather lens bag ticks all those boxes!

May 17, 2022

If you're in the market for the best used 4K camera, use this guide to compare three top options from Fuji, Sony, and Canon.

May 17, 2022

An acrylic print vs canvas - which one should you get? Use this guide to learn a few questions and considerations to help you decide.

May 16, 2022

Portrait and landscape photography are obviously different, but your approach in planning photoshoots shares many similarities.

May 11, 2022

There are plenty of used Sony mirrorless camera options. Which one is best for your needs? Use this guide to find out!

May 11, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022