What do I need to fire off 3 flashes with one camera body?

1 year 11 months ago #737465 by Dana Beasley
To trigger 3 flashes, what do I need in order to pull this off?

Thank you

1 year 11 months ago #737467 by Nikon Shooter
If you are using Nikon flashes, there is an option to trigger one
as master and the others as slaves.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #737469 by Nikon Shooter
ADDENDUM

I also use solutions from Profoto and PoketWizard.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #737570 by CharleyL
What camera and flashes do you already have? Better replies can be provided if we know what you are starting with.

I changed my flash system the the Godox X control system about 2 years ago. A flash control transmitter for the hot shoe of my camera, and then Godox speedlites and strobes that contain the receivers. At this point I have 4 transmitters and 12 flashes that operate on the X system, which operates on the high end of the WIFI allotted operating radio frequencies, so quite noise and interference free.  Godox also makes receivers that can be added to other brands of lights so they can be used with the Godox X system and different transmitters for use with different popular brands of cameras. Godox and Flashpoint brands are the same and work together.  Before switching to the X system, I had a hodge podge of several brands of lights with work arounds to use them together and suffered frequent failures. Since switching, I have not had a single equipment failure. Operator failure, yes. But not a failure caused by the equipment. 

The Godox and Flashpoint X System Speedlites can also be set up to operate as a transmitter on your camera with or without it operating it's flash, while additional can be set up as receivers controlled by the one on the camera.

Charley

1 year 11 months ago #737623 by CharleyL
Actually, most speedlites and studio strobes respond to a flash, any flash from a source (camera flash) nearby. I just tried the flash on my cell phone and it can cause my presently set up studio flashes to trigger with the flash from my cell phone. Optical triggering like this, is very dependent on line-of-sight for it to work reliably, and I haven't used it for years, but radio controlled flash control like the Godox X System, is much more dependable.

Then there is the sync cord method of controlling multiple flashes from the camera by connecting them all together and to the camera sync output, provided that one exists on your camera. Most new cameras don't any longer even have a sync connector. This works well, if the connectors exist, but the wiring between everything quickly becomes a trip hazard.

Charley

1 year 11 months ago #737738 by Dana Beasley
Sorry for late reply, I was traveling.  This is actually for a friend.  She has Canon R6 and the flashes are Canons.  Honestly I don't recall which model of flashes, I just remember they were Canons.  

thank you!

1 year 11 months ago #737852 by CharleyL
A Godox  X Pro c transmitter and then a Godox X1Rc receiver for each of the Canon flashes would give you full control of each of the Canon flashes from the Godox  X Pro c attached to the camera. An alternate to the X Pro c transmitter is an X2T c at slightly less money. 

X Pro Transmitter for Canon Camera -

amazon.com/Godox-TTL-Convert-Manual-Dedicated-Customizable-Functions/dp/B075QGFZ84/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1VY9H8HA3OX57&keywords=godox+xpro+canon&qid=1652721875&sprefix=godox+xpro+%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-3

Cheaper Transmitter for Canon Camera -

amazon.com/Godox-Bluetooth-Connection-Relocated-Control-Wheel/dp/B07S1THV79/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1J5C60TO6E4J6&keywords=godox+x2t+canon&qid=1652721951&sprefix=godox+x2T+%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-3

Receiver to be added to each Canon flash (you will need 3 of these for 3 Canon speedlights - 

amazon.com/Godox-Wireless-Receiver-Compatible-Cameras/dp/B0768WYPGB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=XF03TI8T1EG9&keywords=godox+x1r+-c&qid=1652722007&sprefix=godox+x1r+-c%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-3

If all you want to do is manually adjust each flash and then trigger them with the camera, if the camera has a sync output port, buying sync cables long enough to connect the camera to the first flash and then to each other flash will cause all of them to fire when the camera takes the picture. Since I don't know the models of the existing flashes or the camera, I have no idea if this can be done or not.

There are cheap radio flash units that will only trigger the flashes. They come in a group of receivers and one flash transmitter. All they do it trigger the flashes, with no ability to adjust them from the camera.

One of them is here -

amazon.com/Neewer-Speedlite-Including-Transmitter-Receivers/dp/B074PRC82K/ref=sr_1_51?crid=UBJPIDGB2A9&keywords=flash+remote+trigger&qid=1652722365&sprefix=flash+remote+trigger%2Caps%2C95&sr=8-51

Charley

1 year 11 months ago #737957 by Colorado Mike
Pocket Wizard 

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #738015 by CharleyL
"Pocket Wizard "

Yes, but at higher cost than the Godox alternative.

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024