Prevent squinting with portraits outdoors in sun?

1 week 3 days ago #737625 by Colorado Mike
When you are taking a portrait outdoors, and it's sunny out.  How do you get your people to not squint? This is a problem that I face often.  

Whats your trick to deal with this? 

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week 3 days ago #737632 by Nikon Shooter
i use white panels translucent diffusers (3x3', 3x6' 3x6').

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 week 2 days ago #737650 by Colorado Mike

Nikon Shooter wrote: i use white panels translucent diffusers (3x3', 3x6' 3x6').

Awesome, so are you having someone hold these over your models when you are shooting?  What if you don't have an assistant?  

Photo Comments

1 week 2 days ago #737657 by Nikon Shooter
It depends on the shoot and the conditions.

The smaller 9 sq ft can be hand or perch held easily but for windy
conditions and with the larger 36 sq ft version, I do mount it on 2
heavy stands using plenty of sand bags.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 week 2 days ago #737659 by Tim Wiener
When no assistant, you can have the model close their eyes till ready to take the photo, count down 3,2,1 open/click 

Photo Comments

1 week 2 days ago #737665 by CharleyL
The shade of a thinly leafed tree may be enough, but I have reflector stands and 5 way reflectors, so I unzip and remove the outer layers of a large spring wire edged reflector and there is a translucent scrim under the outer reflective covers to use
as the base layer. Positioning this correctly softens and spreads the Sunlight, making the model more comfortable and with no need to squint. Fill flash or a carefully positioned reflector (usually white foam core to light the face of a model's face while they are in the shade of a tree can help too, if you can get the Sun and tree to move into the right positions. Without an assistant, I use a light stand and sand bags with a clip attached to hold the foam core in the desired position. I much prefer fill flash to light their face and a thin shade tree shadow for this. It's much easier to carry than stands and sand bags, although I usually end up needing a folding wagon to haul everything to the shooting location anyway.

Charley

1 week 2 days ago #737666 by db3348
Think about what is causing them squint in the first place : it's the sun, right ,  the bright hot sun getting in their eyes ,  is making them squint .
So remove the sun getting in their eyes from the equation  and  they won't need to squint :
  • Have subject(s) facing away from sun ,  so the sun does not get in their eyes ,  say,  at 90 degrees to the sun ,
  • move them out of the sun ,
  • or like NS suggests ,  have  some kind of cover / shield  to mask or diffuse the sun , so it's not as intense .
Food for thought ,  Mike .

db3348

Photo Comments

1 week 1 day ago #737737 by Freshstart
Find a tree and position your models under the shade

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Looking for Best Budget Camera of 2022? Here’s my pick- Sony ZV-1. This best budget camera is loaded with features that give it lots of bang for your buck.

Feb 18, 2022

This Fujifilm X-Pro 2 vs X-Pro 3 comparison review explores the similarities and differences between these cameras so you can decide which best fits your needs.

Dec 13, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Not sure what to give someone as a photography gift? Why not a personalized photo book? Check these great options out!

May 19, 2022

Having the skills to take portraits is essential to your success. Buy you also need the right portrait photography gear to help you bring your vision to life.

May 18, 2022

The best wedding photography gear is functional and utilitarian, but also looks good. This leather lens bag ticks all those boxes!

May 17, 2022

If you're in the market for the best used 4K camera, use this guide to compare three top options from Fuji, Sony, and Canon.

May 17, 2022

An acrylic print vs canvas - which one should you get? Use this guide to learn a few questions and considerations to help you decide.

May 16, 2022

Portrait and landscape photography are obviously different, but your approach in planning photoshoots shares many similarities.

May 11, 2022

There are plenty of used Sony mirrorless camera options. Which one is best for your needs? Use this guide to find out!

May 11, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022