Prevent squinting with portraits outdoors in sun?

1 year 11 months ago #737625 by Colorado Mike
When you are taking a portrait outdoors, and it's sunny out.  How do you get your people to not squint? This is a problem that I face often.  

Whats your trick to deal with this? 

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #737632 by Nikon Shooter
i use white panels translucent diffusers (3x3', 3x6' 3x6').

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #737650 by Colorado Mike

Nikon Shooter wrote: i use white panels translucent diffusers (3x3', 3x6' 3x6').

Awesome, so are you having someone hold these over your models when you are shooting?  What if you don't have an assistant?  

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #737657 by Nikon Shooter
It depends on the shoot and the conditions.

The smaller 9 sq ft can be hand or perch held easily but for windy
conditions and with the larger 36 sq ft version, I do mount it on 2
heavy stands using plenty of sand bags.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #737659 by Tim Wiener
When no assistant, you can have the model close their eyes till ready to take the photo, count down 3,2,1 open/click 

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #737665 by CharleyL
The shade of a thinly leafed tree may be enough, but I have reflector stands and 5 way reflectors, so I unzip and remove the outer layers of a large spring wire edged reflector and there is a translucent scrim under the outer reflective covers to use
as the base layer. Positioning this correctly softens and spreads the Sunlight, making the model more comfortable and with no need to squint. Fill flash or a carefully positioned reflector (usually white foam core to light the face of a model's face while they are in the shade of a tree can help too, if you can get the Sun and tree to move into the right positions. Without an assistant, I use a light stand and sand bags with a clip attached to hold the foam core in the desired position. I much prefer fill flash to light their face and a thin shade tree shadow for this. It's much easier to carry than stands and sand bags, although I usually end up needing a folding wagon to haul everything to the shooting location anyway.

Charley

1 year 11 months ago #737666 by db3348
Think about what is causing them squint in the first place : it's the sun, right ,  the bright hot sun getting in their eyes ,  is making them squint .
So remove the sun getting in their eyes from the equation  and  they won't need to squint :
  • Have subject(s) facing away from sun ,  so the sun does not get in their eyes ,  say,  at 90 degrees to the sun ,
  • move them out of the sun ,
  • or like NS suggests ,  have  some kind of cover / shield  to mask or diffuse the sun , so it's not as intense .
Food for thought ,  Mike .

db3348

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #737737 by Freshstart
Find a tree and position your models under the shade

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024