If cameras started out in color, would B&W even be of interest?

1 month 2 weeks ago #737917 by Finn
I have a interesting thought I was thinking about today:

So let's imagine that the very first camera shot in full color.  No B&W.  So do you think it would be of interest for people without it being in photographic history?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 2 weeks ago #737950 by Screamin Scott
Colors sell color shots, Composition sells B&W. Thus the color shot would have to be aesthetically pleasing colorwise with good composition...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #737956 by Rick Larin
Interesting thought.  Would like to think someone would have come out with it, just like infrared photography or HDR, people like different.  

Photo Comments

1 month 1 week ago #738020 by Colorado Mike
Photographers who made their fame from B&W wouldn't be happy! 

Photo Comments

1 month 1 week ago #738086 by No Show
Why wouldn't it?  Putting aside the classic appeal as the nature the this thread suggest, it's a catchy medium.  

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments

1 month 1 week ago #738177 by JaneK
This is some Back to the Future time travel thinking!  Hard to say IMHO.  I would guess seeing people can be so exploratory, that yes, B&W would eventually come up and people would have a liking to it.  

Photo Comments

1 month 1 week ago #738196 by Esseff

No Show wrote: Why wouldn't it?  Putting aside the classic appeal as the nature the this thread suggest, it's a catchy medium.  

Totally agree with this. Some things just look better in BW.

1 month 1 week ago #738238 by Norse Photographer
Yep agree.  I don't have as much experience as many of you,  but I think B&W shots are very interesting.  Moody.   

1 month 1 week ago #738282 by Colorado Mike
Honestly when was the last time you took a B&W

Photo Comments

1 month 4 days ago #738371 by Sawyer
I don't think that would change much, yes I think it would still be of interest.  No different then other mediums, that have been realized. 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments

1 month 2 days ago #738459 by Fitch
For me?  no because I prefer color, but I know plenty of people who would miss it.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Looking for Best Budget Camera of 2022? Here’s my pick- Sony ZV-1. This best budget camera is loaded with features that give it lots of bang for your buck.

Feb 18, 2022
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Not every photo book is made alike. Some are superior to others because of the options you get. Learn what to look for in this guide.

Jun 28, 2022

What is the best camera in 2022? That's a loaded question whose answer depends on many factors. In this guide, we'll explore some great options!

Jun 22, 2022

GoPro accessories come in all shapes, sizes and price points. But which ones are the best? We offer our favorite picks in this 2022 guide.

Jun 22, 2022

Not sure how to grow your photography business? Check this beginner business guide to learn a few inside tricks to hit the ground running.

Jun 22, 2022

If you're in the market for some Sony FE lenses for your kit, use this guide to learn more about three excellent prime and zoom lens options.

Jun 22, 2022

If you want to take the best close-up images, you'll need some macro photography lenses to get the clearest, sharpest photos.

Jun 21, 2022

What is a metal print? The easy answer is that it's an image printed on metal. But the best metal prints are a product of a more intricate process.

Jun 21, 2022

After using Linksys routers for many years, I switched to a Synology Router - the RT6600ax. Here are my first impressions!

Jun 15, 2022