Hanging a Metal print with no frame?

1 year 10 months ago #738262 by Stacy Craig
You don't need a frame with a metal print right?   If that is true, how could one hang such a print?  I have a client who doesn't want a frame and wants the print flush to the wall, however I'm not sure how they would hang it, if no frame? 

Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738268 by TCav
If, by "flush to the wall", you mean that the front surface of the print is flush with the surface of the wall, you'd need to create an indentation in the wall to encompass the thickness of the print, in which case you could simply make the indentation deep enough to encompass the thickness of the device you used to hang it.

On the other hand, if by "flush to the wall", you mean that the back surface of the print is flat up against the surface of the wall, you might try carpet tape, but make sure the wall is completely flat. Drywall will shift and buckle with changes in temperature and especially humidity, which may cause the carpet tape to fail, so you might need to use something like cementboard instead.

1 year 10 months ago #738326 by Stacy Craig
Hey thanks TCav, yes you got it right.  They want it flush on the wall.  Would double sided 3M tape work?  The crummy part, if they want to remove, that will be a huge PITA.  But I just don't see any other way? 

Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738348 by TCav

Stacy Craig wrote: Hey thanks TCav, yes you got it right.  They want it flush on the wall.  Would double sided 3M tape work?  The crummy part, if they want to remove, that will be a huge PITA.  But I just don't see any other way? 

I'd stick with carpet tape.

Just make sure it's level before you press.

And if they want to remove it, make sure you're long gone. On regular drywall, the paper will tear, so use cementboard so only the paint will get messed up.

1 year 10 months ago #738388 by Stacy Craig

TCav wrote:

Stacy Craig wrote: Hey thanks TCav, yes you got it right.  They want it flush on the wall.  Would double sided 3M tape work?  The crummy part, if they want to remove, that will be a huge PITA.  But I just don't see any other way? 

I'd stick with carpet tape.

Just make sure it's level before you press.

And if they want to remove it, make sure you're long gone. On regular drywall, the paper will tear, so use cementboard so only the paint will get messed up.

OK, thank you for the tips!  So expect the paint to get messed up IF they need that removed.  

Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738390 by icepics
As a photographer you need to learn more about this... If/when they take it down and it tears up their wall a few years from now, who do you think they're going to blame?? Do you really want to deal with this potentially pissed off client again someday? (No, you don't!)

Learn options and offer suggestions that can give them the look they want and make sure they understand why (so it doesn't ruin the wall). Metal prints seem to be a somewhat more recent trend; I would expect it will only last so long. Then people won't want these and want something else, and discover what you provided to them causes them to have to repaint the wall...

Try maybe Adorama, or Samy's, that have info. and tutorials etc. available. Be as well informed as you can rather than jumping into pleasing them now and regretting it later.

Sharon
Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738487 by No Show
True, and agree.  Educate your client, so they know the risks, and then just move forward.  

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738644 by lightcapture
I'd install a rectangular frame on the back smaller than the metal print or use recessed styrofoam blocks to create a negative space where the print floats in front of the wall one inch.

1 year 10 months ago #738820 by Stacy Craig
Thank you everyone, very helpful! 

Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #738950 by Ian Stone
3M Double Sided tape will do the trick 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024