Shutter sound vs silent shutter?

1 year 9 months ago #739069 by Chester Foster
Playing around with a new cameras 'silent shutter' has me on the fence wether I like not having any noise.  Honestly I think I'm more for the shutter noise, or something.  What about you?  

Do you prefer the silence?  Or do you want some sort of shutter noise?   

1 year 9 months ago #739082 by CharleyL
I also prefer the shutter noise, but like the ability to turn it on and off. Taking photos of pets or wild life is one of the times that shutter noise is not wanted. Then there are times when shooting a trained model without flash that she is listening for the shutter in order the move to the next pose. The ability to switch the noise on and off in the camera setup becomes very handy.

Charley

1 year 9 months ago #739083 by lightcapture
I like soft shutter sound. It gives me the reassurance that I snapped a photo.

1 year 9 months ago #739084 by Hassner
I agree with Charley.

There is a place for both.
I love stealing shots. I often silence my phone to sneak shots.
It started in film days, camera on a dimly lit bar counter, jacket over it, 3200 ISO, 1/15sec. F2.8. 
Luckily the abient noise were high. 
Now it is possible on SLR. 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #739194 by Pat White
100% shutter sound for me

1 year 9 months ago #739277 by db3348
Generally prefer a distinctly audible shutter so I can be sure the shot has occurred and completed .
But I realise  there are occasions when silence and discretion are important such as weddings .

db3348

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #739278 by Esseff
I turn it off. It's good to be silent when you're somewhere that you shouldn't be, know what I mean?

I do a fair number of abandoned locations. Usually they are 'no entry' properties so I really don't want to draw attention to myself.

1 year 9 months ago #739344 by CanonKid
+1 Shutter sound 

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #739428 by JaneK
Good question.  But easy one for me to answer, I like the sound of the shutter going off.  I don't have any circumstances that call for silent shooting, so it's all about that ever so satisfying shutter sound for me.  

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #739456 by Ira Weber
+1 for shutter sounds 

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #739522 by Roman Omell
99% of the time, shutter sound 

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #739674 by Ontherocks
All about the shutter speed for me.  I think when a camera has no noise, it's just strange for me.   

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #739728 by Thomas S
+2 for the shutter noise 

Photo Comments
1 year 8 months ago #739785 by Ian Stone
To strange to not have shutter sound, gotta have it for me. 

Photo Comments
1 year 8 months ago #739788 by Shadowfixer1
I like a shutter sound but most often, I shoot silently. Not only is it stealthier, it saves wear and tear on the shutter. There are times when a mechanical shutter is necessary.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024