Shutter sound vs silent shutter?

1 year 9 months ago #739820 by Norse Photographer
OK, I'm asking because I don't understand, how would shutter sound add more wear to the camera? 

1 year 9 months ago #739830 by icepics
Not sure if my digital Ricoh has a way to turn off shutter sound, but I'm so used to hearing it I think I use the sound to know the shutter released and I got the shot. Having done sports I got used to working fast, and it's so noisy in an arena who would hear it anyway but me??

Out doing other shooting, I use rangefinders a lot, which are fairly quiet. SLRs not so much, and if I don't care if the whole world notices what I'm doing, a Polaroid ejecting a photo makes attention getting noise! (the SX-70 and 600 series that is; packfilm cameras are fairly quiet).

Sharon
Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #739832 by Shadowfixer1

Norse Photographer wrote: OK, I'm asking because I don't understand, how would shutter sound add more wear to the camera? 

Because when using the electronic (silent) shutter, the shutter never actuates. It remains motionless, thus less wear on the shutter mechanism. The sound you hear when using the mechanical shutter is the sound it makes from moving. The sound doesn't cause wear, but the thing that makes the sound suffers wear which is the shutter mech.

In fact most cameras, when you dig into the information in the secret/hidden menus, the camera will show shutter actuations and also total images captured. The difference being the number of electronic shutter images made. 
1 year 9 months ago #739883 by Marin Chi
I need the shutter noise for me 

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #739915 by EOS Man
+1 shutter sound

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #739940 by CharleyL
I also prefer the shutter sound, but the ability to turn it on and off in the camera menus very desirable for me, since sometimes the sound will alert that the photo is being taken. Having an animal up close in your frame and taking the shot with the shutter sound will likely make that one shot the only one that you will get of the subject. Taking candid shots is another time when it's best not to have the shutter sound. I prefer the ability to turn the shutter sound on and off via a camera menu selection, but most of the time I want it on. A studio shoot is one of them, so my subject/model knows when I have taken the shot and can change to the next pose. While the strobe flashes also indicate that the photo was taken, I have been doing some work with continuous lighting, so the shutter sound is the only indication that the shot has been taken. Don't restrict yourselves to one or the other. You will find times when both are advantageous. Find the camera menu position that lets you turn the shutter sound on and off, so you can get the best shots that would otherwise be missed, like the wild rabbit or squirrel, or bird. Turn off the shutter sound and get more than one great shot of them. Leave it on and you will likely only get one shot.

Charley  

1 year 9 months ago #740010 by Eli Clark
+1 shutter 

1 year 9 months ago #740066 by Street Shark
Don't get me wrong, hearing the shutter sound is nice, but it's not a deal breaker for me.  

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #740201 by Hoss
+1 Shutter sound all the way

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #740258 by Moe
Shutter sound is a must 

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #740370 by Overread
Agree!  Gotta have shutter sound.  

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #740460 by Chris Briggs
It doesn't need to be a full shutter sound, like film camera, but a small noise is must needed IMHO.

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #740489 by CharleyL
So, what's wrong with having a camera with a menu item that lets you turn the shutter sound on and off? My early digital cameras didn't offer this, and the shutter sound was created by electronics. The present day cameras are mostly the same today, but with a menu item that either allows or turns off the sound. It's an electronic sound and not a real shutter sound anyway. If you want the sound or not is completely your choice now.

I too like to hear the sound, as it insures that the camera has taken a shot. Some experienced models listen for the shutter sound to tell them when to change their pose, so shoots with an experienced model goes much faster, but when taking photos of wild animals up close or doing candid shots, I like the ability to switch the shutter sound off. I think it's been a year since I switched my shutter sound off, and it was only for a few candid shots. The sound has been switched on ever since.

Why are we, in effect, voting for this? With most digital cameras you can  have it either way. Make your choice and go with it, but remember that there is likely a menu choice, should you ever decide that you want to turn it on or off. Electronic cameras don't have mechanical shutters to make the sound anyway. It's a "feel good" sound file that is created in electronics that sounds like a mechanical shutter. It isn't a mechanical shutter people.

1 year 9 months ago #740594 by Photo Junky
+ shutter sound

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #740741 by Freshstart
After shooting with my iPhone, I personally don't mind if I have a shutter sound or not.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024