Setting up a gallery still relevant in 2022?

1 month 3 weeks ago #739157 by Ben Vanderbilt
Considering the digital world these days, do photographers still aspire getting their work in a physical gallery?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 weeks ago #739207 by lightcapture
That's a good question. I pretty sure well-known photographers still have showings which generate quite a bit interest. A modern example would be Steve McCurry.

1 month 3 weeks ago #739219 by Hassner
The last time I had an exhibition was in the end of film days, 1999. 
What I learned was you do not have exhibits for profit unless the world art collectors are aware of you.
All photographers I know do it for the marketing they get from it. 

A friend once sold out his exhibition and thought it was the way.
But it was one buyer who thought it would look great in her new restaurant. 
His next exhibit was without profits again. 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #739270 by Garbo
I guess it depends on what you want from your photography.  Me?  Meh.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #739356 by CanonKid
Not here, just no interest in setting up a physical gallery 

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #739394 by icepics
I've done submissions to juried exhibits. Not much during the pandemic. I think many galleries were struggling to stay in business, and not many art shows etc. were going on.

Usually you submit digitally, and if accepted then you print and frame and ship the photograph. There's one gallery where I've had photos in exhibits and they've done shows where they did prints themselves from what you provided digitally; unless it sells (it didn't!) they ship it to you. If nothing else I ended up with a beautiful professional quality print for myself.

I don't know of anyone owning their own gallery. Sometimes a gallery may show a particular artist's work in a solo exhibit. Or an exhibit may feature a particular artist or photographer as part of the exhibit. Or an art show or gallery may accept and include photographs.

Seems like photographers need to be well known regionally at least for their prints to sell for much.

Sharon
Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #739409 by Stanly
Not at my age

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments

4 weeks 2 days ago #740228 by Crammer
Physical gallery?  Nope, digital all the way.  Reach more peeps!  

Photo Comments

4 weeks 1 day ago #740259 by Finn
Eh, no.  

Photo Comments

4 weeks 40 minutes ago #740352 by Deb Reardon
Perhaps when I'm older, right now I have my hands full with my portrait clients.  

3 weeks 6 days ago #740376 by Overread
:agree:   Agree, leave that for when I retire for what I'm doing

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony Alpha a6000 mirrorless digital camera review, get the scoop on this camera's specs and features, and learn why it's a great beginner camera.

Jul 05, 2022

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

What is a prime lens? How are they different from zooms? Find out in this beginner photography tutorial on prime lenses!

Aug 03, 2022

A wood frame canvas print doesn't just need a high-quality, good-looking canvas. It also needs a well-built wood frame to keep the canvas tight.

Aug 02, 2022

Use these simple, straightforward newborn photography tips to improve the quality of your images and wow clients with beautiful photos of their baby.

Aug 02, 2022

Leather photography bags not only look great and are durable, but they offer excellent organization and protection for your gear.

Aug 02, 2022

In this full frame vs APS-C comparison, learn the history, similarities, and differences between these two popular photography formats.

Aug 01, 2022

Adding a mini photo album to your product offerings is a great way to boost sales and increase the perceived value of your brand.

Aug 01, 2022

There are many different items you can buy for your camera, but there are a handful of essential camera accessories you'll need to get the best results.

Jul 26, 2022

What features should you look for in a canvas print? From the materials used to the customer service experience, there's a lot to consider!

Jul 25, 2022