Dance Recital - What should I do?

1 year 10 months ago #739216 by jrapa86
Hey everyone I'm new here to the forum, I'm typically a private hobbyist photographer for the past 10 years however recently I did a job for a dance recital. My cousin-in-law owns a dance studio and had 88 dancers to be photographed. I'm in a little bit of a bind, and I can use some advice.

I offered a service where the parents can first view the photos on a pixieset gallery, and then make purchases after. This motivated my cousin to no longer use her current photographer who required parents pay upfront, and then receive their photos afterward. 

My problem is, that a total of 4900 pictures were taken, hundreds were manually edited with Photoshop, and I am seeing on pixieset that the parents are logging in, viewing, and they are not making any purchase according to their pre-orders. In fact, they are not making any purchases at all to my surprise.  I received 49 preorder forms with their requests on packages. I released the photos to half the parents 24 hours ago.

I am debating now to take down all of the photos for the second half of the parents and require payment for them to even see the photos to begin with. I feel like I made a possible amateur move, by trusting people would comply with their pre-orders, and it will cost me many many many hours and money. 

Does anyone have any advice on what they would do in this situation?

Digital Image Download Pricing:[/b]
Single Photo: $20
Package 1: $40.00 - 3 photos- 1 headshot, 1 dance pose, 1 group
Package 2: $75.00 - 6 photos- 2 costumes, 1 headshot, 1 dance pose, 1 group shot per costume. 
Package 3: $110 - 9 Photos - 3 costumes, 1 headshot, 1 dance pose, 1 group per costume. 

Add additional photos for $20, but discounted additional $5.00 for every extra photo. 
Manual Photoshop Enhancement: $10, flat rate for whole package. 
-Included in Manual enhancement: Frequency Separation, Skin Color enhancement, teeth whitening, blemish removal
All unused photos: $50
All Photos you see in gallery: $125
-Each photo contains a copy in 2-3 black and white filter variations, and 2-3 color variations (lightroom presets)

Here are some of the sample shots:

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Lens: EF85mm f/1.2L II USM
ISO: 500
Aperture: f/9.0
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Captured: Sat, 22 May 2021 18:41pm
Captured: Sat, 22 May 2021 18:39pm
Captured: Sat, 22 May 2021 18:43pm
ISO: 640
Aperture: f/7.1
Shutter speed: 1/100 sec
Captured: Sat, 22 May 2021 14:54pm
Aperture: f/8.0
Captured: Sat, 22 May 2021 17:03pm
Aperture: f/7.1
Captured: Sat, 22 May 2021 14:50pm
Aperture: f/11.0
Captured: Sat, 22 May 2021 13:16pm
ISO: 800
Aperture: f/5.0
Shutter speed: 1/160 sec
Captured: Sat, 22 May 2021 10:49am

1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #739273 by lightcapture
I'm not the most knowledgeable or experienced, but here's the way I've done it.
Four important rules for me:
1. Only sell edited photos to show your best work
2. Don't give too many choices, it confuses them, and only use your best.
3. If they are for view put a water mark smack in the middle to prevent them from downloading an unauthorized version.
4. Be reasonable with pricing because this is just another memory for them.

1 year 9 months ago #739396 by icepics
Usually photographers use password protected galleries online so only that student and their family can view them. I might downsize and go lo res, or at least jpegs (I'm used to usually shooting Raw). And watermark the heck out of the photos!! I doubt the average person would know how to remove them, and make them a nuisance to even try.

And make it clear in contracts that the gallery is for viewing only. Try ASMP for suggestions how to do this if the opportunity comes up again.

The other thing I noticed was the number of photos you took. Even with 80-90 students, the process needs to be more efficient. I'd try to figure out how you can learn and practice (maybe do some in trade - you get learning and practice, the dancer gets a complimentary photo or two). But I don't know what type photography you've done. I did sports, and mosty hockey, but I have done a little figure skating. You need to get to a point that you can take a few shots and get a good one. Or most of your photos should be usable to good to excellent.

If you keep working to bring up your skill level that would enable you to do this more effectively. I still feel after years that I get a little rusty and need to get in some practice. Sports are obviously a lot of movement and action and it takes being able to work fast, see/frame the shots, know the timing, etc. And this was a lot of sports portraits, and you got really nice photos. You have the talent, it may just take developing your techniques and learning the business aspect of it. Try ASMP or PPA for info.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024