Bird photography ethics?

1 year 9 months ago #739716 by J Photo Man
Are you allowed to hang bird feeders in state parks if you are there? Would like to photograph some birds, but trying to figure out how to attract them into my area where I’m at.  But can this be done as long as I take with me when I head home?  

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #739724 by Screamin Scott
Best to inquire at the park you intend to visit...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #739726 by icepics
Not where I live or that I know of... Usually I don't think it's considered to be a good idea to start attracting wildlife unless you intend to keep a bird feeder etc. going. I doubt a park is going to let you hang up anything.

Is there a park in your area with a bird blind? Or any birding areas in any of the parks in your area? Or any local wildlife groups? Or, I dunno, try looking at the Audubon website for ideas/suggestions.

Sharon
Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #739727 by Shadowfixer1
Not allowed to feed any wildlife in state parks is what I have seen. Some people used to feed deer at a local park near my hometown and they came down pretty hard on them and eliminated it.
1 year 9 months ago #739958 by Chris Briggs
Can't feed animals here either, so no go with the birds as well.  

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #740070 by Street Shark
Most places frown on feeding ANY animals.  I suspect birds would fall under this category as well.  

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #740167 by Mike McKinnon
All the places around here, you can't feed the animals 

1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #740206 by lightcapture
Wouldn't you think it would take while for birds to discover it.
I would think if your discrete and hang one in a remote location one weekend it would be there, having been discovered for the next weekend photo shoot.
Actually a great idea to attract birds. Hoping to see your results soon.

1 year 9 months ago #740214 by Ozzie_Traveller

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Not allowed to feed any wildlife in state parks is what I have seen. Some people used to feed deer at a local park near my hometown and they came down pretty hard on them and eliminated it.

G'day mate
We have visitors to Australia who feed the kangaroos & wallabies sliced white-bread - the animals don't know the difference, so accept it, and die within days as it does acidic things to their insides. Despite signs in all sorts of places, I/we still see visitors offering bread to the 'locals'
Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 year 9 months ago #740242 by J Photo Man
All good points, thank you for the insight PT!  

Photo Comments
1 year 8 months ago #742011 by vroberts
I think there will be different regulations depending on the place. But hanging the feeder in the park, you will sometimes be unable to attract them. Also, since it is an open and noisy area, rodents may come to the feeder. If so, I think a good option is to hang feeders in your yard to attract more birds to your backyard.

1 year 8 months ago #742013 by Baydream
Agree that no feeding in parks is the rule. In addition, many areas have been hit by avian flu so even yard feeders are not advised. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #742201 by vroberts
I think there will be different regulations depending on the place. But hanging the feeder in the park, you will sometimes be unable to attract them. Also, since it is an open and noisy area, rodents may come to the feeder. If so, I think a good option is to hang feeders in your yard to attract more birds to your backyard.

1 year 7 months ago #742332 by Roman Omell

Screamin Scott wrote: Best to inquire at the park you intend to visit...

:agree:  best insurance policy is to ask ahead of time.  

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #746206 by arnobraun
To my knowledge, placing bird feeders on public property, on a property occupied by others, for commercial or industrial use, on a property occupied by others, or on public property It is illegal to live less than 20 feet from any lot line or other property line. And the park is also not a good place for you to feed the birds there, because they are very large and often crowded, so I don't think they will visit your feeder. It would be great and no problem if you could hang the feeder right in your backyard . Prepare food about the species you want to attract and some tips and you are sure to have a lot of guests coming to your home.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024