Bird photography ethics?

5 months 1 day ago #739716 by J Photo Man
Are you allowed to hang bird feeders in state parks if you are there? Would like to photograph some birds, but trying to figure out how to attract them into my area where I’m at.  But can this be done as long as I take with me when I head home?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 1 day ago #739724 by Screamin Scott
Best to inquire at the park you intend to visit...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

5 months 1 day ago #739726 by icepics
Not where I live or that I know of... Usually I don't think it's considered to be a good idea to start attracting wildlife unless you intend to keep a bird feeder etc. going. I doubt a park is going to let you hang up anything.

Is there a park in your area with a bird blind? Or any birding areas in any of the parks in your area? Or any local wildlife groups? Or, I dunno, try looking at the Audubon website for ideas/suggestions.

Sharon
Photo Comments

5 months 1 day ago #739727 by Shadowfixer1
Not allowed to feed any wildlife in state parks is what I have seen. Some people used to feed deer at a local park near my hometown and they came down pretty hard on them and eliminated it.

4 months 3 weeks ago #739958 by Chris Briggs
Can't feed animals here either, so no go with the birds as well.  

Photo Comments

4 months 3 weeks ago #740070 by Street Shark
Most places frown on feeding ANY animals.  I suspect birds would fall under this category as well.  

Photo Comments

4 months 3 weeks ago #740167 by Mike McKinnon
All the places around here, you can't feed the animals 

4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #740206 by lightcapture
Wouldn't you think it would take while for birds to discover it.
I would think if your discrete and hang one in a remote location one weekend it would be there, having been discovered for the next weekend photo shoot.
Actually a great idea to attract birds. Hoping to see your results soon.

4 months 2 weeks ago #740214 by Ozzie_Traveller

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Not allowed to feed any wildlife in state parks is what I have seen. Some people used to feed deer at a local park near my hometown and they came down pretty hard on them and eliminated it.

G'day mate
We have visitors to Australia who feed the kangaroos & wallabies sliced white-bread - the animals don't know the difference, so accept it, and die within days as it does acidic things to their insides. Despite signs in all sorts of places, I/we still see visitors offering bread to the 'locals'
Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 months 2 weeks ago #740242 by J Photo Man
All good points, thank you for the insight PT!  

Photo Comments

3 months 1 week ago #742011 by vroberts
I think there will be different regulations depending on the place. But hanging the feeder in the park, you will sometimes be unable to attract them. Also, since it is an open and noisy area, rodents may come to the feeder. If so, I think a good option is to hang feeders in your yard to attract more birds to your backyard.

3 months 1 week ago #742013 by Baydream
Agree that no feeding in parks is the rule. In addition, many areas have been hit by avian flu so even yard feeders are not advised. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

3 months 4 days ago - 3 months 4 days ago #742201 by vroberts
I think there will be different regulations depending on the place. But hanging the feeder in the park, you will sometimes be unable to attract them. Also, since it is an open and noisy area, rodents may come to the feeder. If so, I think a good option is to hang feeders in your yard to attract more birds to your backyard.

3 months 1 day ago #742332 by Roman Omell

Screamin Scott wrote: Best to inquire at the park you intend to visit...

:agree:  best insurance policy is to ask ahead of time.  

Photo Comments

4 days 15 hours ago - 16 hours 45 minutes ago #746206 by arnobraun
To my knowledge, placing bird feeders on public property, on a property occupied by others, for commercial or industrial use, on a property occupied by others, or on public property It is illegal to live less than 20 feet from any lot line or other property line. And the park is also not a good place for you to feed the birds there, because they are very large and often crowded, so I don't think they will visit your feeder. It would be great and no problem if you could hang the feeder right in your backyard . Prepare food about the species you want to attract and some tips and you are sure to have a lot of guests coming to your home.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D5 vs D850 comparison, we take a look at the specs, features, and capabilities of these cameras so you can decide which one is right for you.

Sep 29, 2022

The Panasonic Lumix FZ300 is an older camera, but has modern capabilities like 4K video that make it a great option for today's photographers.

Sep 13, 2022

The Sony Alpha 7c mirrorless digital camera is a compact full frame rig that is an excellent introduction to shooting with a full frame body.

Aug 25, 2022

In this Sony Alpha a6000 mirrorless digital camera review, get the scoop on this camera's specs and features, and learn why it's a great beginner camera.

Jul 05, 2022
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are metal prints or brushed metal prints more appropriate for your images? What differences do they offer? Find out in this detailed guide!

Nov 21, 2022

You don’t have to spend a ton of money to get a great camera for 2023. Use this guide to the best cameras under $500 to find your next camera on the cheap!

Nov 17, 2022

A professional photo book should be a cut above what you typically find. So, what should you look for when getting one? Find out in this detailed guide!

Nov 16, 2022

A custom photo book is a wonderful way to display your images for yourself or for clients. In this guide, learn about different options to consider for your images.

Nov 16, 2022

Professional photographers need a lot of gear to get the job done. But any gear won’t do - it needs to be durable to provide long-lasting utility and protection.

Nov 16, 2022

The holiday season is rapidly approaching, and that means figuring out some Christmas card ideas. Check out this list for some inspiration!

Nov 15, 2022

The Hasselblad X1D II 50C is a prime example of a great medium format camera. The question is, should you switch to medium format photography in the first place?

Nov 15, 2022

With these ideas for gifts for photographers, you can give your loved one an awesome photography gift without spending more than $100.

Nov 14, 2022