Way to much camera gear!

1 year 9 months ago #740132 by Janet Schlage
We are up in San Fran this week and my back is killing me.  I think it's time I narrow down what I'm carrying around in my camera bag.   I have My D750 and my Sony  a7R.  Actually I think when I get home, I'm going to sell all my stuff and update to a newer platform.  

What would you do, stick with Sony or go with new Nikon mirrorless?  If I stick with Sony, I will keep my Sony glass, and just dump everything else and get a newer Sony body.  

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #740136 by TCav
Keeping your current glass would be the big draw for me.

That is, if what you've got is worth keeping. If you're starting over, many of Sony's lenses are not worth keeping.

1 year 9 months ago #740166 by Travis Brunson
Do you have G Lenses? I'd keep them and ditch the rest 

1 year 9 months ago #740196 by Kenya See
I would only keep what ever glass you use often with the Sony.  Which new Sony have you been considering?  

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #740202 by lightcapture
Only you can decide which camera system brand you like the best. Which one works best for you?
Which out knowing your lens selection pairing down weight to a 24-200 super zoom is a nice travel package. Or carry 2 zooms, 24-70 and 80-200 which are popular pro selection that cover most shooting situations.

As a Nikon user you may be aware that a great compact travel kit is the Z5 w/ 24-200. I use a D750, 24,35,70-300 and am looking to simplify and this is really attractive travel kit, or get the Z5 w/ 28-75 f2.8 for a fast glass affordable Nikon mirrorless kit. Or if you really want compact the Z5 w/ 24-70 f4 can't be beat for size and weight.

If you want compact w/ Sony the A7C w/ 24-70 f4 looks great or get the new Tamron 28-75 f2.8 G2 for fast glass.

1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #740238 by CharleyL
Since my very early involvement in Digital Photography (1997), and many years of film photography before then I learned the hard and expensive way to do my photography.  I have been through Sony, Nikon, Fuji, and now Canon, plus a second Canon, each time spending a lot of extra money on new lenses and special hardware. I'm very happy with my choice of Canon now, because my cameras and I work well together, and there are many accessories available to fit my Canon cameras. I strongly suggest sticking with the brand of camera that you like best for the features, lenses, and what is most comfortable in your hands. Button placement and features of one camera brand over the other are very important and the camera needs to fit you and the way that you like to photograph.

I still own an early Sony and a Fuji, but almost don't use them or their lenses and accessories any more. Neither gave me the pleasure of shooting that my Canon cameras do, but there are occasional use for each that they still get used for. If either gets damage, I'll likely sell or trash them with no remorse.

Some of us own different brands of cars that others don't like. Each of us has different likes and dislikes. It's the same with cameras. Find the one that fits your way of shooting and has the accessories available for your kind of shooting. You test drive cars before buying for the same reason. The better quality camera brands are all good today. Find the one that fits you and you are most happy with. You might want to consider renting or borrowing different cameras to see what you like and don't like about each. It's a much better way to decide quickly which is right for you. 

Charley

1 year 9 months ago #740351 by NickSano
+1 keep the good Sony glass and go that direction will most likely be the best economic route.  

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #740456 by Colorado Mike
When you sell your gear, I would try selling privately first.  You'll get more $$ that you could use towards the new gear you pick up.   Check out MPB or KEH for buying your new gear too. 

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #740575 by CharleyL
If you are still on vacation, consider buying a luggage carrier, a folding hand truck for suitcases. It will put wheels under your backpack and a handle to pull it around. I used one when doing field service of printing equipment 20 years ago, and now frequently use it to help me get multiple camera bags around. It's especially helpful when hauling my video equipment, because I have several bags of camera and audio gear to haul around. 

When doing remote shoots that require stands, lights, folding stools and other support equipment, I have one of the folding wagons to use, and sometimes I wonder if everything will fit in it. I mostly go to a local park for these shoots, and though there is plenty of parking available in several locations, it is quite distant from my preferred shooting locations. At least there are paved walkways through this park to nearby most of them.

Charley

1 year 9 months ago #740686 by Conner
I cleaned house last year myself, it's nice to head out with a streamlined camera bag.  My back appreciates it!  

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #743841 by btaoregon
This electrician's bag is perfect for what I need it for. It's well built and durable, has a variety of perfectly sized and conveniently placed pockets, and holds a ton of stuff without being bulky. The shoulder strap is also a nice touch, allowing me to sling it over my shoulder behind me when climbing the roof access ladders. It's worth the cost.

1 year 6 months ago #743863 by TCav

1 year 6 months ago #743959 by CharleyL
It's one thing to own that many cameras and lenses, but to take all of the with you? I'm guilty of taking one camera body and a couple of lenses, possibly a second camera body just in case, but hauling all of that on your back is crazy

Charley.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024