Need help with portrait lighting for 14 people

1 year 9 months ago #740595 by Norse Photographer
I'm supposed to be photographing some friends, 14 of them.  But not sure on how to properly light them all.  I don't have any flashes, or lights yet.  I'm going to pick these up after I learn what I should get.  Thank you for your help.

1 year 9 months ago #740616 by CharleyL
Need more information -

What camera model do you plan to use to do this? Lenses available?

Will you be photographing them as a group or single/double?

Will you be doing this indoors or out?

If indoors, what is the existing light at the time(s) that you will be doing this?

What will you be using for background/backdrop? 

How large is the planned shooting space, and what is already in it?

I'm assuming that since you don't already have lighting, backdrops, etc. that this is a tight budget situation. Am I right? What is your budget for this?

When is this supposed to happen?

It's very difficult to suggest much of anything without the information above. 

Charley

1 year 8 months ago #741941 by Todd Floyd
I would guess you would need at least 2 flashes and means to trigger both flashes at same time?  

Photo Comments
1 year 7 months ago #742449 by edgephotographies
When you want to light a group, the easiest and most simple setup is actually pretty great. Use a single light source, up high, on axis with the camera. If you prefer your light to have a little direction, pull it off to the side just a bit, somewhere between zero and 45 degrees. More angling provides more contrast.

1 year 7 months ago #742593 by CharleyL
If you can do the shoot outdoors, make use of the big light source in the sky, but you can't position it. You will need to position yourself and subjects in the right place and the right time of day to get good results. A hazy, but bright, day makes all this easier.
There will be less shadows to deal with and time of day will mean less. 14 people is a pretty big group. A wide flight of stairs in a park or government building would let you
position them in a couple of rows and the background might complement the shot too.
Flash on the camera or close to it could be used to brighten their faces, but the result should be pretty good without any flash, if the day was bright and hazy.

Charley

1 year 7 months ago #742598 by Razky

CharleyL wrote: Need more information -

What camera model do you plan to use to do this? Lenses available?

Will you be photographing them as a group or single/double?

Will you be doing this indoors or out?

If indoors, what is the existing light at the time(s) that you will be doing this?

What will you be using for background/backdrop? 

How large is the planned shooting space, and what is already in it?

I'm assuming that since you don't already have lighting, backdrops, etc. that this is a tight budget situation. Am I right? What is your budget for this?

When is this supposed to happen?

It's very difficult to suggest much of anything without the information above. 

Charley

Wouldn't the lighting requirements be the same regardless of the camera or lens? Why do you think that would make any difference?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024