Downsides to using step up rings for filters?

2 weeks 6 days ago #740764 by Photo Amigo
Hey guys, is there anything wrong with using step up rings when using larger filters on smaller lenses? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 weeks 6 days ago #740765 by TCav
It could cause vignetting, but not a much as step-down rings.

2 weeks 6 days ago #740766 by Razky

Photo Amigo wrote: Hey guys, is there anything wrong with using step up rings when using larger filters on smaller lenses? 

Their use is widespread, more practical than buying various sizes of the same filter. Might be a good idea to go two sizes up for wide angle lenses, but that depends on the lens. Let us know your experiences.

2 weeks 5 days ago #740851 by nokk
there's nothing wrong to using step up rings for filters.  cheap step up rings might get stuck to the filters or the camera lens.  look for some rings made of brass.  the same thing could happen with the filter and lens, it's just something you need to be aware of.  all of my filters are 72mm or bigger, and i have a set of step up rings.

2 weeks 2 days ago #740981 by Macon B

TCav wrote: It could cause vignetting, but not a much as step-down rings.

You can use smaller filters on a lens?  Would that create a forced circle frame?  Or are you zooming in enough that you skip past the filter creating a smaller frame?

2 weeks 13 hours ago #741031 by Razky
Macon B wrote:
"You can use smaller filters on a lens?  Would that create a forced circle frame?  Or are you zooming in enough that you skip past the filter creating a smaller frame?"

Mounting a smaller filter via a step-down ring will more than likely result in vignetting. An exception could be a full-frame lens on a crop sensor camera.

2 weeks 9 hours ago #741034 by TCav

Macon B wrote: You can use smaller filters on a lens?  Would that create a forced circle frame?  Or are you zooming in enough that you skip past the filter creating a smaller frame?

Yes. The amount of vignetting will vary based on the focal length, focus distance and the aperture. With a zoom lens, you might easily be able to get past the vignetting, but for primes you might need to use a very small aperture.

1 week 5 days ago #741111 by Otto F
Just make sure you screw it on straight so you don't strip the threads if you take on and off frequently.  

Photo Comments

1 week 2 days ago #741223 by Hoss
Man I only have used a step up ring for short time back in the day, I saw no downside other than one additional item I had to buy and screw on and off.   I seem to recall I was using a 77mm filter on 72mm lens.  

Photo Comments

5 days 18 hours ago #741355 by Gammill
IMO, it's only downside is that it's something additional you need to buy

Photo Comments

3 days 17 hours ago #741409 by Ira Weber
I use one all the time, no downsides in my book. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony Alpha a6000 mirrorless digital camera review, get the scoop on this camera's specs and features, and learn why it's a great beginner camera.

Jul 05, 2022

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Effective photography marketing requires pursuing multiple avenues for advertising your business. Get some insight into how to market your business in this guide.

Aug 08, 2022

As a beginner photographer, there are many different digital camera features to learn. This guide introduces you to some of the most important ones.

Aug 03, 2022

What is a prime lens? How are they different from zooms? Find out in this beginner photography tutorial on prime lenses!

Aug 03, 2022

A wood frame canvas print doesn't just need a high-quality, good-looking canvas. It also needs a well-built wood frame to keep the canvas tight.

Aug 02, 2022

Use these simple, straightforward newborn photography tips to improve the quality of your images and wow clients with beautiful photos of their baby.

Aug 02, 2022

Leather photography bags not only look great and are durable, but they offer excellent organization and protection for your gear.

Aug 02, 2022

In this full frame vs APS-C comparison, learn the history, similarities, and differences between these two popular photography formats.

Aug 01, 2022

Adding a mini photo album to your product offerings is a great way to boost sales and increase the perceived value of your brand.

Aug 01, 2022