Touring B&H store in Manhattan?

2 weeks 6 days ago #740986 by Chuck Liley
Is this still open as it was prior to Covid for people to get in and walk around?   Or they online only?   

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 weeks 5 days ago #741009 by Silver Fox
They've been open for some time, jump on in! 

Photo Comments

2 weeks 1 day ago #741147 by Gump
B&H closed?  LOL I don't think so, they were open likely during the pandemic!

Photo Comments

1 week 5 days ago #741292 by Finn
These guys never close except for faith related holidays 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: lightcapture

1 week 1 day ago #741399 by CharleyL
Going to B&H is quite an eye opening event. Surprising, is the conveyor system. Not a lot is available to see in the store, until you start asking questions of one of the salespeople. They key in your requests to see the products and in very short order the products of interest begin arriving at your location via the conveyors. You can then make your choice to buy or not right there with the salesman. This type of store is great if you have a pretty good idea of what you want. If it's photo or video related, it will be there on the counter in front of you in a couple of minutes. On display in the showroom are many of the larger items that don't fit the conveyor system, and roaming sales people to help you when you have questions or want to buy. It's been a very busy place every time that I've been there.

Adorama is on the East side of Manhattan and more of a traditionally oriented store, but they also have far more in stock than on display. No conveyor system that I've seen, but the sales people are quick to get what you ask for and put it on the counter in front of you. The store is more arranged like departments organized by type of gear, so it's easier to browse and see similar products by different brands to compare them. 

When in NY and interested in photography, it should be a "must do" to visit both of these stores. Both are reputable businesses that will help you with your photography needs. NY has many stores selling photography equipment, but I have had a few bad experiences in dealing with some of them. I now only buy from B&H,  Adorama, or Amazon with my Prime Membership, which gives me free shipping and a no hassle 30 day free returns if I'm not satisfied. Much of what I have bought through Amazon has come from Adorama. 

If you have a true camera store near you, it would be good to check them for your needs too. Camera stores are becoming extinct rapidly, and the better ones that still exist can be a great source for your needs, maybe at maybe slightly higher prices, but you get walk-in service and a chance to build a friendship with the sales people that you won't get from the Internet or mail-order. This can be a priceless benefit when you need help with something quickly. They can't stay in business if everyone goes the mail or Internet order route. It pays to keep them in business and there for you, if you can.

Just my thoughts from my photo/video experience over the past 65 years. I'm certain that there are great sources of photography equipment and supplies in many cities across the country and around the World. There are also many not-so legit places to buy from. 

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony Alpha a6000 mirrorless digital camera review, get the scoop on this camera's specs and features, and learn why it's a great beginner camera.

Jul 05, 2022

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these passive income photography ideas, you can expand your revenue stream without putting in a bunch of time and effort.

Aug 10, 2022

Photography storytelling can be done in many ways with different subjects through various mediums. Use these tips to learn more about telling stories with your photos.

Aug 08, 2022

Effective photography marketing requires pursuing multiple avenues for advertising your business. Get some insight into how to market your business in this guide.

Aug 08, 2022

As a beginner photographer, there are many different digital camera features to learn. This guide introduces you to some of the most important ones.

Aug 03, 2022

What is a prime lens? How are they different from zooms? Find out in this beginner photography tutorial on prime lenses!

Aug 03, 2022

A wood frame canvas print doesn't just need a high-quality, good-looking canvas. It also needs a well-built wood frame to keep the canvas tight.

Aug 02, 2022

Use these simple, straightforward newborn photography tips to improve the quality of your images and wow clients with beautiful photos of their baby.

Aug 02, 2022

Leather photography bags not only look great and are durable, but they offer excellent organization and protection for your gear.

Aug 02, 2022