Is there such thing as low profile camera cage?

1 year 8 months ago #741047 by Hoss
I’ve been trying to find one.  I have a small rig cage, however it’s big and bulky, I want something light weight and thin, but still provide protection and offer cold shoes.  

Can you help me out please?  

Thank you

Photo Comments
1 year 8 months ago #741241 by CharleyL
For what camera?
With what options added? 

The question cannot be answered effectively without more information. Give us some help here and you might get a good answer.

Charley

1 year 8 months ago #741255 by Razky
Hoss wrote:
"I’ve been trying to find one.  I have a small rig cage, however it’s big and bulky, I want something light weight and thin, but still provide protection and offer cold shoes.  

Can you help me out please?  

Thank you."

Never heard of a camera cage. And it makes no sense to have a "small rig cage" that is "big and bulky." Please explain.

1 year 8 months ago #741349 by CharleyL
Attached is a photo of a Canon 77D camera in a SmallRig Camera Cage, with a 7" HD monitor, microphone, back-up audio recorder, etc. assembled how I use it when doing video work with it. SmallRig makes many camera cages and most are specially made to fit specific camera brands and models. The cage offers some protection to the camera, but mostly provides attachment points for everything else that needs to be used with the camera, especially when using it for video work. With the cage's many 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 threaded holes in the frame, many things can be attached. It can all be re-configured, as needed, to suit different needs. 

In order to help you, I will need answers to the questions in my first reply.  

Charley

Attachments:
1 year 8 months ago #741357 by Razky
Rube Goldberg would be jealous!

1 year 8 months ago #741395 by Roman Omell
That's a nice set up!  

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: CharleyL
1 year 8 months ago #741550 by CharleyL
"That's a nice set up! "

Actually, I'm wishing that I had bought a full pro video camera, and when all is said and done I could have bought a pretty good pro level one with what I have invested in this. This setup works fine for studio use, but it is a bit heavy to use hand-held, and the 1/2 hour time limit for a single video file has given me trouble a couple of times when I wasn't right at the camera to restart it, which would create a new file for up to another 1/2 hour, or the remaining size of the memory card, whichever comes first.  The reason for this limit is in the design of still cameras that can do videos. It seems that they are all built this way. With a good video editor, it's easy to attach multiple scenes/files together, but if the camera is unmanned and the 1/2 hour limit is reached, the camera ends the shoot.

When I shoot hand-held, I use the camera strap around my neck and the two side handles to hold and steady the camera. Since the photo was taken, I have also added a  chest pad below and to the rear of the camera body, that sits against my sternum when I'm shooting. This has improved my ability to steady the camera for longer periods and was definitely worth doing.

A true video camera does not have the time limitation for file lengths, and will continue to shoot until your memory card is full. One file, the size of the memory card, or as many scenes as you wish, each with a separate file name, until the memory card is full. 

In either case, going into serious Pro level videography is not for the faint of wallet. There's about $1,400 sitting on the tripod in that photo. Good audio actually becomes more important than video, so having back-up audio becomes important. If you can't see the video briefly, but the audio lets you hear what is happen, the viewer can still make use of the video. Loose the audio and the viewer can't make sense of what they are watching. So good microphones and audio mixer becomes important, if you need to use more than one source of audio.

Most good video post processing software will make it easy to synchronize the separately created audio in post, so a separate audio recorder, to help when a scene is missing it's audio or it is not acceptable for some reason, is well worth considering. Having a good set of earphones connected so that you can monitor the audio as it goes into the camera for recording can help minimize recorded audio problems, but back-up sources can be a life saver, even if the quality isn't quite as good as desired. The clapper/scene board used in movie making becomes important for 2 reasons: 1. To keep track of many short video scenes by adding a video image of the board and it's text markings at the beginning of each scene as it's shot. 2. The clapper top that makes a perfect sound in the beginning of each scene to allow synchronizing audio with the video when it is recorded separate from the video. These clapper/scene boards are available through Amazon, if you should wish to have one. The one that I have came with dry erase pens and an eraser. 

So, when funds allow, I'll likely be buying a Pro level video camera, hopefully in the near future. This is working for me, but with the limitations described above. 

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024