Using camera in dense rainforest?

1 year 8 months ago #741225 by KenMan
I've been invited to a trip in 2023 to the Amazon, which I'm seriously putting some thought into.  Now this is obviously very thick rainforest with a lot of moisture.  Would a mirrorless camera be OK as is?  Or would I need to have some sort of waterproof case around it?  As I understand, we'll be staying right in the forest the entire time (10 days).  

Thank you for your help on this one!  

Ken

Photo Comments
1 year 8 months ago #741227 by Shadowfixer1
Mirrorless or DSLR doesn't make a difference. The model of camera used and the amount of weather sealing it has does matter. I would have no problem with my Olympus and my weather sealed lenses. Most likely, you will be fine but I would keep a dry bag handy for heavy rain.
1 year 8 months ago #741228 by KenMan
Sorry I should have clarified, it's a Nikon Z6

Photo Comments
1 year 8 months ago #741337 by Norse Photographer
I thought all modern cameras supposed to be nearly weather tight, doesn't fog and such count?

1 year 8 months ago #741397 by nokk
you should be fine.  but you could always throw a silica gel desiccant canister in your bag.  it's like the bigger, reusable version of the silica packets that come in the shoebox.

www.amazon.com/Indicating-Desiccant-Cani...r%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-5

1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #741457 by lightcapture
Make sure you have a camera and lenses with weather sealing for inclement weather...many are. Mine can be used in rain, but not submerged, and my lenses are weather sealed from dust and moisture too. Also carry a portable folding rain cover to fit your camera and lens, just in case. Nothing further is needed.

1 year 8 months ago #741520 by Gump
Just bring plenty of microfiber clothes and keep them in zip lock bags.  Have bag for clean and dry ones and have bag for dirty and wet ones.  Depending on how dense the moisture is, you'll be likely wiping off your lens numerous times throughout the day.  

Photo Comments
1 year 8 months ago #741707 by Uplander
+1 best advice!  This works the same for shooting at the ocean with all the mist as well. 

Photo Comments
1 year 8 months ago #741896 by Rawley Photos
I would think most intermediate to professional camera will fair just as is as they have weather sealing that should protect them.

Photo Comments
1 year 7 months ago #741989 by neal1977
Something semi offtopic, but good to know.  If you are going to be in the rainforest, there are good chances that you will be using a ton of bug spray, try to avoid getting that spray on your camera gear, it will turn it white. 

Photo Comments
1 year 7 months ago #742155 by Tom Henry

Norse Photographer wrote: I thought all modern cameras supposed to be nearly weather tight, doesn't fog and such count?

It depends on how pro level of a camera we are talking about.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024