How are you flying with film?

1 year 7 months ago #742132 by Deb Reardon
I've recently started playing around with film photography.  Now regarding my unprocessed film, should I tell the TSA agent that I don't want the filmed to get zapped with their scanner?  

Are they generally cool with that or is this just asking for a cavity search?  
If you have any recent experiences, do tell!  

1 year 7 months ago #742166 by Pat White
I haven't flown with film before, but I think they will likely just use their wand thing and have you walk through the machine 

1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #742358 by CharleyL
If you're that concerned, maybe sending the film in a package to your destination, to be picked up by you when you get there. When about to leave for home, sent the package back to yourself. I went totally digital before they got this crazy with scanners and X-Rays. I still worry about sending my cameras and memory cards through the scanners and do my best to get them to manually look through my camera bags without scanning them. But then I haven't traveled in about 5 years.

Wrapping the film in several layers of Aluminum foil should block the radiation, but it will show up in the scan as an opaque block that would likely cause them to investigate further.

Me, I have many metal and plastic parts in me. The last few times that I flew, they had the walk-thru scanners in place and I told them about these pieces before going through the scanner. One time, the guy running the scanner acknowledged my comment and waived me through anyway.  As I was walking to my bags after leaving the scanner, he yelled out "Man, you twinkle like a Christmas tree" loud enough that everyone stopped to see who he was talking to. A bit embarrassing, to say the least.  I consider myself to be somewhat Bionic now with all of these replacement parts in me, but they are keeping me going. I've had 7 heart surgeries, have a pacemaker now, survived cancer twice, a few plastic arteries, and metal knees. None are as good as original, but way better than not having them when they were needed replace my damaged pieces.

Charley

1 year 7 months ago #742376 by Shadowfixer1
Back when I flew with film, I would place the film cannisters in a plastic zip lock and asked for it to be hand inspected. It only affects high speed film for the most part. ISO of 100 would probably not have issues. I remember a test in a magazine where they ran the film through 10 times with no noticeable effects. Don't know about the machines they now use so.....
1 year 7 months ago #742390 by Hassner
In my film days they had bags laces with lead to protect against fogging. 
But even in those days (30+ years ago) the authorities said that the radiation levels were reduced many times as they brought out new levels and that it should not affect film anymore. There was still people that worried, as they said they needed to got though 10 or more scans to get home, yet they promised it should be fine. 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
1 year 7 months ago #742525 by Cory J
Haven't flown with film 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024