Nikon Z6ii or Sony a7iv?

1 year 7 months ago #742204 by RIPbiker13
I'll start off that I use my Nikon D7500 often and on crime scenes because, well, that's my job, I'm a Detective. But crime scene photography is relatively easy. The subjects don't move, I can add light if I need to, and usually the task is to just capture the scene as it is discovered. I am not a beginner (but can always take advice), I shoot manual most of the time and have been in photography for several years. I find it rare to take advantage of Aperture or Shutter priority modes. I also have a film camera I enjoy. 

I am at a point where I would like to expand my gear and I don't necessarily want to buy into a lot of DX lenses knowing I'd like to use a full frame. My biggest complaint with the crop sensor is the view, full takes in more of the scene. 

In the Spring I've been asked to shoot a wedding. I warned I've never shot a wedding but the person wasn't planning on having a photographer and thought having a crime scene guy do it would be cool. I also ride and own a couple motorcycles and like to travel with my camera and get cool street side shots as I see things.

All this to say, I'd like to get a new camera and I'm really considering the Nikon Z6ii w/ NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S lens (not the Z6, I like the SDXC memory), or the Sony a7iv w/ FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS lens. The Sony comes in at $1000 more as a buy in price over the Nikon. 

Aside from work, I don't make money from my pictures, but as I progress I get small paying jobs. I'll be doing a photo shoot for a local that builds custom motorcycles and the wedding I was asked to shoot in the Spring. Beyond that, I just take my camera because I love it. 

Hopefully this will evoke some conversation and before I get yelled at, I have searched, watched videos, read articles, and at this point I thought it would be worth while to have a conversation. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I have attached a couple pics I have taken recently.

Attachments:
1 year 7 months ago #742240 by Ian Stone
Hmmmmm, I would lean towards Sony only because you have a larger base of glass available and they are with Canon leading the mirrorless race.  

Have you handled the cameras to see which you prefer from an ergonomic standpoint?  

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: RIPbiker13
1 year 7 months ago #742242 by Randy Shaw
+1 for Sony, you'll have more options and likely in long haul, save you $$

Photo Comments
1 year 7 months ago #742243 by RIPbiker13
No, I have not handled the Sony, however I am aware of the complaints some have had regarding ergonomics. I live in the country, so the nearest store that has one is Best Buy an hour's ride away. I have handled and used Canon in the past and that's why the R6 was not on this list, as I have ruled it out, and the hot shoe falling off is deal breaker for me, considering it's common and has to be sent in to be repaired.  

I was on the phone with Eric at KEH Camera and he suggested if I'm buying in new, to invest in Sony for the long haul, and reminded my that Sony makes the Nikon sensors. So what you're saying about saving over the long haul may ring true after all, despite the initial buy in. 

I will definitely handle the Sony prior to purchase of anything, but I can't imagine it's so bad it's a deal breaker. 

Any feedback on durability of these cameras? Being on the bike they're in padded cases, but I have them out and I plan to use them. 

1 year 7 months ago #742245 by Nefarious
I think from a durability standpoint, both of these are going to be on par with one another.  If I were to lean in one direction I would lean towards Sony.  Just feels like a more 'dense' camera if that makes sense.  Personally newer Sonys have a good feeling in the hands if you want my 2 cents on that matter.  

Photo Comments
1 year 7 months ago #742248 by RIPbiker13
Feeling more dense makes perfect sense. My Pentax K1000 I got from my grandfather feels like a brick and I love that feeling. I appreciate the feedback on the durability.

This camera is obviously way overkill for crime scene, but I also shoot alternate light source (ALS) and the mirrorless is so much easier to use for this type of photography. So imagine body fluid stains unseen by the human eye can been seen with various wavelengths of light and filters. Even something like bruising no longer visible on the surface can be seen weeks later using this method. It's a fantastic tool.

My wife gets on me though because me agency has not issued me a camera and I use my own gear which is better than what I think they'd give me anyway. It's sad because I fly a $24k drone but they couldn't drop $3k for a camera I'd use every day.

I forgot to mention I have a YouTube channel where I create content as well, but I have never used DSLR or Mirrorless for video. As I understand, both of these are very capable, with the nod to the Sony in that regard.

1 year 7 months ago #742250 by Pat White
First off, killer bike photos!  Love those bikes.  Second, go with the Sony and be done with it.  

1 year 7 months ago #742303 by RIPbiker13
Based on the input and countless hours of research, I went ahead and ordered the Sony. I'll be heading into town after work to pick it up today. I'm not thrilled about the 28-70mm lens, but for $200 in the kit it's not a bad choice as a back up. I will hit it's limitations quickly, but the point of going this route was to get myself into a vast ecosystem of glass. 

I am considering the Tamron 28-200mm as a lens for all around, but I'd to drop into the 24mm range if I can find one. That being said, would the FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS be a better option in this regard? The G lenses are impressive, but I have had no hands on experience with them. Really the lens options in this platform are staggering but that's not a bad thing. A lot to choose from.  

1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #742325 by RIPbiker13
I would like to thank those that responded and help me feel like I made the right choice. I got the Sony and charged it. I adjusted a few settings, but I'll really have to read and possibly watch a YT vid to get it just right. It feels like a fighter jet! Very compact but solid and the buttons are tactile and feel responsive. I can't wait to go out and get some shots. Might dabble with some astrophotography tonight, but that's a tad advanced for a new camera I know nothing about. 

Attachments:
1 year 7 months ago #742354 by nokk
congrats!

1 year 7 months ago #742355 by Razky

RIPbiker13 wrote: I'll start off that I use my Nikon D7500 often and on crime scenes because, well, that's my job, I'm a Detective. But crime scene photography is relatively easy. The subjects don't move, I can add light if I need to, and usually the task is to just capture the scene as it is discovered. I am not a beginner (but can always take advice), I shoot manual most of the time and have been in photography for several years. I find it rare to take advantage of Aperture or Shutter priority modes. I also have a film camera I enjoy. 

I am at a point where I would like to expand my gear and I don't necessarily want to buy into a lot of DX lenses knowing I'd like to use a full frame. My biggest complaint with the crop sensor is the view, full takes in more of the scene. 

In the Spring I've been asked to shoot a wedding. I warned I've never shot a wedding but the person wasn't planning on having a photographer and thought having a crime scene guy do it would be cool. I also ride and own a couple motorcycles and like to travel with my camera and get cool street side shots as I see things.

All this to say, I'd like to get a new camera and I'm really considering the Nikon Z6ii w/ NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S lens (not the Z6, I like the SDXC memory), or the Sony a7iv w/ FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS lens. The Sony comes in at $1000 more as a buy in price over the Nikon. 

Aside from work, I don't make money from my pictures, but as I progress I get small paying jobs. I'll be doing a photo shoot for a local that builds custom motorcycles and the wedding I was asked to shoot in the Spring. Beyond that, I just take my camera because I love it. 

Hopefully this will evoke some conversation and before I get yelled at, I have searched, watched videos, read articles, and at this point I thought it would be worth while to have a conversation. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I have attached a couple pics I have taken recently.

Whatever system you decide on will have no influence on those of us who do our own thinking.

1 year 7 months ago #742378 by RIPbiker13
Okay great. Thanks for sharing.

1 year 6 months ago #742521 by Fitch
The Nikon is a nice camera, however that Sony is much more seasoned camera.  That's my 2 cents. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024