Print high resolution 24x36" print from iPhone 13 Pro?

1 year 7 months ago #743356 by Chantel Nasbur
I'm going on vacation and really don't feel like bringing all my camera gear.  But incase I find 'the shot' with my phone, if I wanted to, could I print a 24x36" high resolution print from a photo taken with my iPhone?

Photo Comments
1 year 7 months ago #743362 by TCav
Been there. Done that.

Blowing up a 12MP image to 24x36 requires some effort, however. a 3024x4032 image printed at 24X32" will have a print resolution of 126 dots per inch at best, which isn't good.

Best to use a good photo editing application to increase the resolution, BUT NOT ALL AT ONCE! Do it 10% at a time, and repeat until you get an image that will have a print resolution of at least 220 dots per inch. That will be enough to give you a high quality image at typical viewing distances.

P.S.: Ignore the 72x72 pixel nonsense embedded in the Exif.

1 year 7 months ago #743364 by Cliff
Makes you wonder if the new iPhone 14 will have the fire power?  That's 48MP.  

Photo Comments
1 year 7 months ago #743376 by TCav

Cliff wrote: Makes you wonder if the new iPhone 14 will have the fire power?  That's 48MP.  

Actually, the iPhone 14 has the same 12MP resolution as the iPhone 13. The Pro and Pro Max have the 48MP sensor, but only on the "Wide" lens.

1 year 7 months ago #743422 by KENT MELTON

TCav wrote:

Cliff wrote: Makes you wonder if the new iPhone 14 will have the fire power?  That's 48MP.  

Actually, the iPhone 14 has the same 12MP resolution as the iPhone 13. The Pro and Pro Max have the 48MP sensor, but only on the "Wide" lens.

That 48mp should do the trick though

Photo Comments
1 year 7 months ago #743431 by CharleyL
It's not just the megapixels, but the quality of the printer that you use. Why not try printing one of your favorite cell phone photos in the size you want to see if you will be happy with the result, before you go on vacation. If your printer isn't capable of the desired size, put your photo on a thumb drive or the media required by your large photo printing source and see what kind of result that you can get. Only then, will you know if it's worth taking your good camera with you, or the results that you can get from your cell phone is acceptable to you.

Although I have managed to print some good quality large cell phone photos up to 13 X 19" on my Canon photo printer, I would still take my good cameras with me on a vacation. For me, it's not just the photo, but the pleasure of using my cameras and lenses to get the very best photos that I can of my vacation trip. I guess it depends on how much you enjoy your photography hobby or just having large pictures of your vacation.

Charley

1 year 6 months ago #743523 by Silver Fox
+1 on the printer quality.  But something else to consider:  If you take a photo with current iPhone 13 of something of distance.  Then zoom in, you'll notice that the resolution get's really soft.  If that is the case with 14,  larger prints to a certain degree won't be possible.  

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #743551 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

Can I offer this discussion a real-life test from a couple of yrs back ... my smartfone vs a slip-in-the-pocket point and shoot camera with a 3x zoom image quality.  I will not mention brands as I do not want the discussion to become "mine's better than yours".  

YOU need to test your equipment .... and please remember the old adage "the lens creates the image"

The target image ... the flag at the rear of the boat
img\def

Smartfone image - cropped
img\def

$99 x 3x zoom pocket camera image - cropped
img\def

As always, feedback welcome
Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 year 6 months ago #743565 by Roman Omell
I would still run it through Topaz Giga software or similar 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024