Camera shutter actuations vs age of camera?

1 year 6 months ago #743527 by Office Guy
Ha!  I'm dumping off all my questions today.   But I just posted a question about my Nikon D800, which is getting up there in age.  I have 137,823 shots on it.  After I posted my question (in Nikon section here) another question came to mind:  Is a camera likely to fail because of AGE before actual shutter actuations?  Does age accelerate or reduce rated shutter actuations that is given to camera from manufacture?  

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #743528 by Razky

Office Guy wrote: Ha!  I'm dumping off all my questions today.   But I just posted a question about my Nikon D800, which is getting up there in age.  I have 137,823 shots on it.  After I posted my question (in Nikon section here) another question came to mind:  Is a camera likely to fail because of AGE before actual shutter actuations?  Does age accelerate or reduce rated shutter actuations that is given to camera from manufacture?  

I should think that use would exert more wear on a shutter than age. But then, if the camera has sat unused for a long period and the lubricant has dried out, subsequent use with dry lubricant may cause premature wear.

1 year 6 months ago #743532 by Office Guy

Razky wrote:

Office Guy wrote: Ha!  I'm dumping off all my questions today.   But I just posted a question about my Nikon D800, which is getting up there in age.  I have 137,823 shots on it.  After I posted my question (in Nikon section here) another question came to mind:  Is a camera likely to fail because of AGE before actual shutter actuations?  Does age accelerate or reduce rated shutter actuations that is given to camera from manufacture?  

I should think that use would exert more wear on a shutter than age. But then, if the camera has sat unused for a long period and the lubricant has dried out, subsequent use with dry lubricant may cause premature wear.

So assuming lubricant was up to snuff, shutter actuations wouldn't be effected by age?  

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #743539 by TCav
There are two measures of reliability:

Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF): The amount of time you can expect to operate a device before it fails.

Mean Cycles Between Failures (MCBF): The number of times you can expect to cycle a device (typically, turn on or off, but also including other changes in operating mode) before it fails.

Neither of these measures accounts for the age of a device. Now, the age of certain components can affect how likely they are to fail, but those would be things like lubricants and rubber parts, but as long as the device is stored properly, they shouldn't matter.

1 year 6 months ago #743540 by Razky

Office Guy wrote:

Razky wrote:

So assuming lubricant was up to snuff, shutter actuations wouldn't be effected by age?  

Correct. Actually, the D800 is only 10 tears old, so I don't see where age would affect anything, mechanical or electronics.

1 year 6 months ago #743560 by Roman Omell
This is a good question.  I would guess plastic parts over time would become brittle, metal would be fine.  That might play a part in things breaking down.  Temperature the camera is stored at will impact that as well.  

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #743597 by Chester Foster
+1 plastic if stored in dry warm area will become a problem over time

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024