Camera makers ditched 'entry level' cameras

1 year 6 months ago #743814 by Glen Mosley
Our daughter wants to get into photography.  She currently has been taking photos with her iPhone and wants a "normal camera".  Back in the DSLR days there were tons of camera bodies aimed at the beginner.  These days, all these cameras are aimed at intermediate and professionals!

Has the industry just given up on entry level beginners? 

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #743816 by Razky

Glen Mosley wrote: Our daughter wants to get into photography. She currently has been taking photos with her iPhone and wants a "normal camera". Back in the DSLR days there were tons of camera bodies aimed at the beginner. These days, all these cameras are aimed at intermediate and professionals!
Has the industry just given up on entry level beginners? 

Not sure where you're coming from - there are many cameras available to suit anyone's interest, beginners to professional.

1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #743817 by Screamin Scott
Lots of bargains in "Entry Level DSLRs" at both KEH & MPB. Much cheaper than anything new...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #743818 by TCav
Do you have an interchangeable lens camera that you can share lenses and accessories with her?

1 year 6 months ago #743822 by Screamin Scott

TCav wrote: Do you have an interchangeable lens camera that you can share lenses and accessories with her?

If this is directed towards me, the answer is no. None of my cameras are entry level.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #743824 by Glen Mosley

Screamin Scott wrote: Lots of bargains in "Entry Level DSLRs" at both KEH & MPB. Much cheaper than anything new...

True, but those are used cameras.  I'm referring to new cameras

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #743825 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Glen

As mentioned above - there are options with pre-loved dSLRs at varying costs

My suggestion though is to consider a fixed-lens superzoom / bridge camera at this stage to avoid the costs of lenses that --if she decides not to continue with photography-- will then become a financial lost cause

While I prefer Panasonic cameras, Canon & Sony make some good ones, tho (to my memory) the Nikon and Olympus ones tend to aim more to the automatic user rather than the P-A-S-M modes we all recognise.  Also- make sure than =any= camera she goes for has a good eyepiece, not just the rear display panel

You should be able to get a new superzoom / bridge unit for $us300 to $400 ... and its lens in dSLR terms will be an 18 to 400mm size (sort of thing) ... eg: more than enough for most shots most of the time

Hope this helps
Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

The following user(s) said Thank You: TCav
1 year 6 months ago #743865 by TCav
:agree:

What he said.

1 year 6 months ago #743888 by TCav
Generally speaking, the popularity of entry level cameras has always been dependent on the general perception of the public of the pro level cameras. Currently, because of supply chain issues and other factors, manufacturers are putting all their efforts into the top-of-the-line models, so the lesser models are languishing. For instance, Sony started with APS-C bodies, then introduced its line of  'Full Frame' mirrorless cameras. Right now, their 'Full Frame' cameras are the only ones available; their APS-C cameras are out-of-stock with no prospect of being replenished. And since the popularity of Sony's 'Full Frame' mirrorless cameras caught them by surprise, Canon and Nikon are playing catch-up, with barely a mention of any lesser models.

1 year 5 months ago #743934 by Colorado Mike
I don’t think so, the bar has simply been raised.  Nikon just released Z30, Canon R7 and R10.  

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #743945 by Esseff

Glen Mosley wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: Lots of bargains in "Entry Level DSLRs" at both KEH & MPB. Much cheaper than anything new...

If you only want new that's fine but it's worth looking at the used market. A lot of really good kit to be found there.

1 year 5 months ago #743948 by RIPbiker13
A fantastic beginner camera would be the Nikon D3500, if you're asking opinions. You can still get them new, they come with 18-55mm and 70-300mm in some kits, and cost less then some bodies alone. Plus because this is an interchangeable lens camera, it can grow.

Unless you take the venture into the EVIL (mirrorless) cameras. Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens... A Z50 is a great choice but would cost more. 

1 year 5 months ago #744064 by Ben Vanderbilt

Esseff wrote:

Glen Mosley wrote:

If you only want new that's fine but it's worth looking at the used market. A lot of really good kit to be found there.

+10000%.  So many are rushing to mirrorless, there will be even better DSLR deals to be found if one just looks.  

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #744068 by Hassner
I’ve only ever used Canon, so I do not know Nikon’s culture.

The 1, 5, 7D were always the top of the range models. 

The 10’s like 70, 80D were semi professional.

The hundreds were amateur, like 650, 700. 750, 800D

They were so upgraded, that Canon brought out the entry level, the 1000, 2000D...
That specs are climbing as well, so prices are not for amateur beginners. 
I can imagine parents think, what if they lose interest and I spent all this money? 

My daughter wanted a camera for her 19th birthday, lived with mine, never picked it up, never showed interest. I bought her an old 40D with low milage for very cheap. I am glad. She hardly uses it. 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #744137 by Rudy Silvo
And Sony has a6500 series of cameras too

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024