Second Camera Advice

1 year 6 months ago #743966 by [email protected]
Hi, I have just started my photography business as a side job. I was just taking pictures for fun but now people are wanting photoshoots so I can charge. I have a Canon EOS 200D II DSLR with 18-55mm Lens and recently purchased the 55-200 EFS lens. I am finding the images quite grainy when i edit in lightroom. I am doing an awards night soon as was wondering do I need an external flash. Also i need a second camera. What do I get?

1 year 6 months ago #743999 by Esseff
The 200D is actually not a bad camera. And the 18-55mm is a pretty decent lens too. With experience you can do a lot with them. Not a fan of the 55-250 though. I had one and never got a decent photo out of it.

If you're going to do a lot of low light shooting you'll want to invest in lenses with a large aperture. Or possibly consider going FF (but da money).

1 year 6 months ago #744035 by CharleyL
Indoors in large areas is going to need bright lights or a good flash (likely bigger than a speedlite or more than one). It's tough to say how much light you will need because I have no idea where you will be shooting these photos and what light is readily available there. Grainy photos tell me that  your camera has it's ISO cranked all the way up, indicating to me that you are pushing the limits of your camera without adding light(s) to get the ISO numbers lower. Either get some lights or get those being photographed to move into brighter lit locations for the photos.

Speedlites and a remote transmitter are a good first step. I'm using Godox and very pleased with the result since switching to Godox. Flashpoint is a rebranded form of Godox, so same thing. I now have 5 Godox TT600 speedlites in my field kit, plus a Godox X2Tc transmitter (I use Canon cameras - the c in the model number indicates that it works with Canon cameras, other models of X2T transmitters support other camera brands n = Nikon, f=Fuji, etc.) to remotely control the lights from them.

Since you are new to flash photography, start with one speedlite and the X2T_ transmitter that is designed to work with your camera. A light stand or two would be helpful too, if you can afford it. The AD200 Pro is the latest greatest all around speedlite, but it's expensive. It's best to start with a more basic model if on a tight budget. My Godox TT600 speedlites are more budget friendly, but with less fancy control capability. They are reliable though.

It's best not to put your flash on top of the camera, because shiny foreheads and metal make your photos look like you are photographing mirrors. The light from the flash is reflected straight back at the camera. Moving the light(s) 45 deg. left or right works quite well as the reflected light does not come back at the camera.

There are various add-ons for speedlites to spread and soften their light, reducing the hard light to dark edges of the light and making it more even. I have some little soft boxes, about 8" square, that fit over the head of my speedlites to spread and soften their light. You  can pivot the head of the speedlite to point it at a white wall or ceiling to spread the light and make it softer too (a hard light is like that of a flashlight = sharply defined bright/dark edges of the light). You  want soft edged even light, if at all possible.

You will need to experiment with your light(s) before doing a shoot. Try different things and remember what works and what doesn't. Start with just one light, even if you have more. (20 years ago I was taping clean styrofoam coffee cups to the front of my speedlites to spread the light ) An 8 X 10 piece of white paper loosely taped in a large sideways "U" shape across the front of the speedlite works to soften the light too. Be creative here, and try other things too, but as you soften the light, you will also loose some of the brightness of the light as it passes through this GOBO (light modifier), so be careful how thick this light softening media is.

This is probably enough to get you started. Come back and ask more questions for more help. We like to help those getting started. 

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024