Crushed filter, need help to remove it

1 year 6 months ago #743991 by H Rocky
Right side of my filter took the impact of my camera falling to the ground, nothing else is damaged except the filter is crushed on one side where the threads are fastening it to the lens.  Having the filter on saved my lens, but now I can twist the filter off.  

How do I remove a crushed filter from a lens please?  

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #743995 by Razky

H Rocky wrote: Right side of my filter took the impact of my camera falling to the ground, nothing else is damaged except the filter is crushed on one side where the threads are fastening it to the lens.  Having the filter on saved my lens, but now I can twist the filter off.  

How do I remove a crushed filter from a lens please?  

www.google.com/search?q=removing+bent+fi...ceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 year 6 months ago #744022 by TCav
Try a strap wrench.

1 year 6 months ago #744026 by CharleyL
Filter wrenches are available, usually used in pairs, for removing filters when they get tight. Amazon has them. You will need to specify the size of your filter as they come capable to fit a size range. Your filter will need to be in the size range that the wrench can handle. I always have a pair for each lens size that I have and carry them in my camera bags "Just in case" I should need them. It's been years since I've needed to use them on my own filters/lenses, but I have helped a few other photographers using them.

amazon.com/s?k=photography+filter+wrench...ain-0-ops-acceptance

If much of the filter glass is broken out, maybe removing more, and then bending the threaded band inward toward it's center (being careful not to scratch the lens) will get it free without the need to unscrew it.

A strap wrench might work, but filter wrenches are thin and rubber coated, so apply the tension to only the filter. The second is to hold the lens while you use the 1st to unscrew the filter.

Charley

1 year 6 months ago #744033 by Razky
A wrench is the last thing anyone ought to employ - if the filter turns at all, it could damage the lens threads.

1 year 6 months ago #744079 by TCav

Razky wrote: A wrench is the last thing anyone ought to employ - if the filter turns at all, it could damage the lens threads.

... and your solution is ...

1 year 6 months ago #744080 by TCav

Razky wrote: A wrench is the last thing anyone ought to employ - if the filter turns at all, it could damage the lens threads.

Not likely. The threads on filters are generally made of brass or aluminum, which are much softer than the steel the threads on the lens are made from.

1 year 6 months ago #744089 by Razky

TCav wrote:

Not likely. The threads on filters are generally made of brass or aluminum, which are much softer than the steel the threads on the lens are made from.

Aluminum and plastic lens threads are  common - steel would be rare. Trying to unscrew a bent filter ring can gall the lens threads. It would help if the OP could post a picture.

1 year 6 months ago #744090 by TCav

Razky wrote: Aluminum and plastic lens threads are  common - steel would be rare.

The steel threads are on the lens. The threads on the filters are made of softer material, and so are not likely to damage the threads on the lens.

1 year 6 months ago #744091 by Razky

TCav wrote:

Razky wrote: Aluminum and plastic lens threads are  common - steel would be rare.

The steel threads are on the lens. The threads on the filters are made of softer material, and so are not likely to damage the threads on the lens.

Hope you never drop a lens, with or without a filter.

1 year 6 months ago #744153 by TCav

Razky wrote: Hope you never drop a lens, with or without a filter.

Likewise, I'm sure.

1 year 6 months ago #744251 by Ira Weber
Rocky, who did you make out with this?

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #744375 by H Rocky
Tcav and Charley, thank you both!  I was able to get it off.  Happy to say the lens has no damage.  However my filter, well that will live another day.  Maybe not, but sounded cool to say!  :rofl:

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #744398 by Prago
Glad that worked out, you mind me asking what filter you had on there?

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024