Can camera sensor get damaged from the sun?

1 year 6 months ago #744071 by Ivy Winchell
I have a wedding client who wants a silhouette shot with her and her bride maids.   The existing photo shoot is at 12:30pm, so during peak sunlight.  If I use the sun as my light source, would this damage my sensor?  

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #744072 by Razky

Ivy Winchell wrote: I have a wedding client who wants a silhouette shot with her and her bride maids. The existing photo shoot is at 12:30pm, so during peak sunlight. If I use the sun as my light source, would this damage my sensor?

The sun's going to be overhead so unless you're laying on your back shooting straight up, the answer is no.

1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #744077 by TCav
For a silhouette, the subject must be backlit. At 12:30 pm, the Sun will be high in the sky, so you can't use it to backlight your subject.

If you did point your camera directly into the Sun, it would damage your camera, much like using a magnifying glass to focus sunlight onto a piece of paper would cause the paper to burn.

Given the time of day, I think it's unlikely that you'd be able to use direct sunlight to create the silhouette your client has requested, but there are other ways to do it that wouldn't endanger your camera.

1 year 6 months ago #744257 by Carter Gledhill

TCav wrote: For a silhouette, the subject must be backlit. At 12:30 pm, the Sun will be high in the sky, so you can't use it to backlight your subject.

If you did point your camera directly into the Sun, it would damage your camera, much like using a magnifying glass to focus sunlight onto a piece of paper would cause the paper to burn.

Given the time of day, I think it's unlikely that you'd be able to use direct sunlight to create the silhouette your client has requested, but there are other ways to do it that wouldn't endanger your camera.

:agree:  good points

1 year 6 months ago #744261 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Ivy

If you are worried about the sun damaging the sensor in any way - stop worrying :) ... If it did damage the sensor, there would be no sunset / sunrise photos showing the great ball of "hot sun-light".

Leaving a camera on the rear parcel shelf of the car, no cap on the camera lens, and the camera pointing upwards, there =may= be a remote possibility that the lens will focus the sun onto the shutter or sensor and cause some bleaching... but that is extremely remote and you are not silly enough to leave a camera there anyway

What is known to kill digital camera sensors is a flash from a laser beam inside a night club or stage performance. There are many descriptions of camera / phone damage from people who have been filming during say, a rock concert, where a laser has been bouncing off a rotating mirror ball in the roof, where that laser has swiped across the sensor and killed off a string of pixels

Hope this helps
Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 year 6 months ago #744316 by TCav

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day Ivy

If you are worried about the sun damaging the sensor in any way - stop worrying :) ... If it did damage the sensor, there would be no sunset / sunrise photos showing the great ball of "hot sun-light".

See www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/09/rental-...lar-eclipse-of-2017/

1 year 6 months ago #744320 by Ozzie_Traveller

TCav wrote:

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day Ivy

See www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/09/rental-...lar-eclipse-of-2017/

Thanks Tom - a very interesting article :)
I presume that those equipment failures stemmed from extended pointing / viewing directly into the sun, whilst my comment above is referring to us as photographers seeing a sunset / sunrise and doing the usual "point and shoot" operation.  Certainly over the 20-or so yrs that I have been shooting digital, I have enjoyed dozens and dozens of beaut sunset/sunrise shoots without experiencing any damage to my superzoom / bridge cameras with their lovely long-zoom lenses

Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #744323 by TCav
Granted, but sunrises and sunsets are shot through a lot of atmosphere, which dims the sunlight substantially, as per the "Golden Hour". Shooting straight up at the midday Sun can damage a camera pretty quickly.

1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #744324 by TCav
My gear:

Before Totality (with the solar filter in place):

Totality (without the solar filter):

No ill effects to the gear, as opposed to those featured in that blog post.

1 year 6 months ago #744329 by miscat
If it's an SLR then the sensor is only exposed during the very short duration of the exposure. If it's mirrorless then quite possibly if the camera is fixed position.

1 year 6 months ago #744339 by TCav

miscat wrote: If it's an SLR then the sensor is only exposed during the very short duration of the exposure. ...

Not if you're using 'Live View'.

1 year 6 months ago #744349 by RIPbiker13
I'm not saying you won't damage the sensor but...

Welding arcs are brighter and hotter than the sun. I have a YouTube channel and have recorded several sunburns worth of welding footage and made videos. I never took precautions to prevent the sensor from being damage and it never was. I am am more careful with my FF mirrorless however.

I would think through normal use, it's not something the average person will ever have to worry about, but yes, they can be damaged if exposed to the harsh UV rays. It's not the UV that's really doing the damage, it's the focused heat from the UV radiation that melts the sensor.

I did not know about the laser causing damage. That's interesting and I'm certainly going to look more into that. 

1 year 6 months ago #744364 by miscat
No, not if you're using live view!

1 year 6 months ago #744365 by miscat
But you are using a solar filter there, which would not be suitable for a wedding.

Nice totality pic btw.

TC

1 year 6 months ago #744366 by miscat
Glass is a good a good absorber or higher energy UV so the UV part of your arc will probably not be a problem. Being an arc, blue white there should be very little infrara red, very little heating effect on the sensor.

So all in all, from a physics point of view, arcs should not be very harmfl to sensors as your practical experience has confirmed.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024