Photography is NOT art

1 year 6 months ago #744210 by EOS Man
Now this was an interesting topic I discussed with another person tonight.  Without boring you on the details how this came up to begin with, the person I was speaking with came out with "Photography is Not a form of art".  I heavily disagreed and we went around in circles for nearly 90 minutes.  

Let me asking you what you think:  Do you consider photography a form of art?  

Please share your reasoning.    

:)

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #744212 by Razky

EOS Man wrote: Now this was an interesting topic I discussed with another person tonight.  Without boring you on the details how this came up to begin with, the person I was speaking with came out with "Photography is Not a form of art".  I heavily disagreed and we went around in circles for nearly 90 minutes.  

Let me asking you what you think:  Do you consider photography a form of art?  

Please share your reasoning.    

:)

I don't think there is a definitive answer. Some will say it's not, others will pretend it is. It's probably whatever someone wants to call it. For me, I just enjoy making photographs.

1 year 6 months ago #744255 by TCav
Photography consists of art and technology.

The art part is when you choose to point your camera in one direction but not another, when you adjust the image in post processing, even when you choose a frame and a mat.

The technology part is the processes the camera and computer and printer use to create the image.

The part where the art is done is where the photographer is active, which makes the photographer an artist.

The part where the technology is done is by machines, which makes them tools for the artist.

1 year 6 months ago #744350 by db3348
Here we go again .

I , for one ,  emphatically say it is art ,  since you are creating an image ,  a graphic work representing your perception of the world ,  which is for many the basis of all art . 
Painters use paint+brush/knife ,  potters use clay & hands ,  musicians use instruments, photographers use light-sensitive materials+light , and  we all create art of some sort using our respective tools & materials .
Would be curious to know more of the other person's rationale for it not being art .

I often use the dictionary and similar definitions to explain and justify my stance for such discussions ,  and  according to :
Oxford Languages
    " art
noun
art; plural noun: arts; plural noun: the arts
  1. 1.
    the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination,
    typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing
    works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
[*]2.
the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance.
"the visual arts" "
[/*][/list]
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Art
Art - Wikipedia
"  Art is a diverse range of human activity, and resulting product, that involves creative or imaginative talent expressive of technical proficiency, beauty, ... "

https://www.britannica.com › ... › Painting › Painters
art | Definition, Examples, Types, Subjects, & Facts | Britannica
" art, also called (to distinguish it from other art forms) visual art, a visual object or experience consciously created through an .. "

Is not a photograph a visual object or experience , consciously created ?

db3348

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ozzie_Traveller
1 year 6 months ago #744361 by Prago
Photography is 100% art and sign of someones artistic backbone  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #744389 by Pete Franko
Huh?  

Those that say photography is not art, has never picked up a camera.  

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #744448 by photog13013
I was very into photography from mid 70s to 2000.
I just decided to try at it again.

Film cameras, the finish had very little after manipulation.
I planned my shots and thought of painting the image on the film.

I created not just a photograph, but a look.

Just shooting is not art.
Planning out a shot, and capturing that plan, is art. 

1 year 6 months ago #744654 by Esseff

Razky wrote: I don't think there is a definitive answer. Some will say it's not, others will pretend it is. It's probably whatever someone wants to call it. For me, I just enjoy making photographs.

This. Taking a great photo does require skill for sure. However I would never compare it to painting or sculpting or songwriting.

And I think great photos from the pre-digital age are far more impressive skill-wise than those from today. Sadly we live in an age where everyone's a winner... :rolleyes

1 year 6 months ago #744693 by CaptNemo
There is a hard line in my book on this.  Photography IS a form of art.  Art is creative, photography is creative.  Simple connection.

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #744796 by Fran Welch
:agree:    well said

Photo Comments
1 year 6 months ago #744844 by Peter Nunez
Anything that requires your input that will change the final look of something is art.  Photography settings, and composition are all such inputs that will determine how that image will look, therefor, it's art. 

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #744888 by Luca
100% agree

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #745007 by Ryan711
I'm the same, it's art.  Simple as that.  But I'm not going to attempt to convince others.

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #745120 by Fess Walker
I wouldn't pay much attention to that stupidity.  Photography is art.  Simple as that.  

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #745247 by Crammer
:blink:

Don't feed the animals. 

Photography IS an art in my book as well.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024