What makes a photo a masterpiece?

3 months 1 day ago #745566 by Crammer
There are good photos, and then there are GREAT photos.  Then there are 'masterpieces'.   I'm curious as what makes a masterpiece a masterpiece and not just a great photo?  Recognition from peers?   High ticket selling price?  What?  

I've seen some blogs refer to certain photos as "masterpieces", but what separates such from a great photo?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 1 day ago #745581 by db3348
Honestly ,  I believe it's a case of different strokes for different folks, beauty in the eye of the beholder ...  and all those clichés.
I  don't know that everyone can agree or have the same reaction to a given picture .

But some candidates for 'Masterpiece'  would be those that attract a lot of attention by virtue of its composition , or lighting ,  strength and impact of tones & colours , or  story-telling effectiveness .

Photo Comments

3 months 17 hours ago #745622 by Sanford

db3348 wrote: Honestly ,  I believe it's a case of different strokes for different folks, beauty in the eye of the beholder ...  and all those clichés.
I  don't know that everyone can agree or have the same reaction to a given picture .

But some candidates for 'Masterpiece'  would be those that attract a lot of attention by virtue of its composition , or lighting ,  strength and impact of tones & colours , or  story-telling effectiveness .

:agree:   all good points and I agree.   I also think the term "masterpiece" is something that is used after artist is deceased and a term that is used to identify various works.  

Photo Comments

3 months 8 hours ago #745634 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

My qwikkie here is to start with the signature from someone else's photo forum comments ...

Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about time, masters worry about light.

Masterpieces are / seem to be created by artists who are 'craftsmen/women' via some perhaps innate ability to mix light and technique to create something that we people gawk at and make wonderous comments about

I for one do occasionally create my own 'masterpiece' via use of light and subject and technique, whereby I receive some accolades from fellow photographers and it gives me my "15-minutes of fame" before that image is lost under the plethora of other stuff that is uploaded soon afterwards!

Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 months 4 weeks ago #745725 by Ian Stone

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day all

My qwikkie here is to start with the signature from someone else's photo forum comments ...

Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about time, masters worry about light.

Masterpieces are / seem to be created by artists who are 'craftsmen/women' via some perhaps innate ability to mix light and technique to create something that we people gawk at and make wonderous comments about

I for one do occasionally create my own 'masterpiece' via use of light and subject and technique, whereby I receive some accolades from fellow photographers and it gives me my "15-minutes of fame" before that image is lost under the plethora of other stuff that is uploaded soon afterwards!

Phil

:agree:  Yeah, I'll agree with you on this.  Good points Phil.  You are a landscape photographer are you not? 

Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #745858 by Sandy Smith Photos
I think if the photo is the pinnacle of the photographers career and gets legitimate media on the photo, then it's a "masterpiece".  

Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #745958 by Fran Welch
That word always seemed like marketing fluff said my someone trying to sell a print 

Photo Comments

2 months 2 weeks ago #746025 by KenMan
Popular opinion on the photo when describing it

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon Rebel T5i is a budget-friendly entry-level DSLR. And while it’s a few years old, it still has excellent capabilities, especially for entry-level and enthusiast photographers.

Jan 30, 2023

The Panasonic Lumix GH5 might be nearly six years old, but when it arrived in 2017, it had incredible features, particularly for video. Do those features still hold up? Let’s find out!

Dec 28, 2022

If you’re in the market for a rangefinder camera, there is no better choice than Leica. The Leica M11 is just one model worth considering for your photographic needs.

Dec 08, 2022

In this Nikon D5 vs D850 comparison, we take a look at the specs, features, and capabilities of these cameras so you can decide which one is right for you.

Sep 29, 2022
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

What is the best metal print company in 2021? We sought to answer that question with a head-to-head hands-on review of six top options!

Feb 06, 2023

With this list of family portrait ideas, you can create fun, beautiful images that provide you and your family with heartwarming memories for years and years to come!

Feb 03, 2023

The GoPro Hero Max 360 is essentially three cameras in one - a still camera, a video camera, and a 360-degree camera. Get all the details in this Max 360 guide!

Feb 02, 2023

Ordering custom size photo prints requires a little forethought and some investigation into the best online printing companies. Learn what you need to do in this guide!

Jan 30, 2023

The Canon Rebel T5i is a budget-friendly entry-level DSLR. And while it’s a few years old, it still has excellent capabilities, especially for entry-level and enthusiast photographers.

Jan 30, 2023

Freelance photography jobs are a great way to make income on the side. But they can also lead to building a full-time business that allows you to earn a nice income!

Jan 30, 2023

I've had the f-stop Sukha since 2019, and it's proven to be an ideal solution for carrying lots of gear on extended trips. Is it the right bag for you? Find out!

Jan 25, 2023

With so many photo book styles available from Printique, you can find something that perfectly fits your images for any occasion, whether a wedding, senior portrait, or something in between.

Jan 24, 2023