How come professional cameras don't use micro SD cards?

1 year 5 months ago #745757 by Kelly Lambert
They have high speed 512GB micro SD cards these days.  How come professional cameras aren't using the smaller memory cards vs larger SD or CFExpress cards? 

Seems like this could save space, cost and for what it's worth a little weight.  

Nikon D700: 50mm, 14-24mm, 85mm, 105mm 70-200mm, 150-500mm (Sigma), SB-900
Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #745758 by TCav
microSD cards are slower than SD cards.

1 year 5 months ago #745770 by Screamin Scott
I guess you are already aware that you can use them with the supplied adapter if you are just concerned with storage space. Personally, I don't want more than 64 GB cards as there is more to lose if a larger card fails.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #745825 by CharleyL
My big hands and fingers don't like the tiny cards. I'm quite happy with the SD size cards, and for photos, I stick with the 32 and 64 gig cards for still photos. For video, I usually use 128 gig, but have a couple of 256 gig too. 4K Video at 60 fps will fill a 64 gig card in about 1/2 hour. I haven't ever had an SD card go bad, yet. But 32 gig is a lot of still photos. I prefer to have many smaller cards, in case there should be a problem with them. I haven't yet needed more than 32 gig for one still photo shoot. 

I transfer all photos and videos to the computer and to solid state hard drives, so the cards get erased and re-used for future shoots after the files are all multi copied into the computer and the hard drives. If you shut down access to the card before removing it, and if it doesn't fail within the first or second time that you use it, the SD cards will likely last you longer than you will ever want to use them.

My H1N audio recorder uses the micro size cards, and I've lost several when trying to handle them, resulting in a major search, usually under my computer desk. Like I said, my big hands and fingers don't like them.

Charley

1 year 5 months ago #745832 by Razky

Kelly Lambert wrote: They have high speed 512GB micro SD cards these days. How come professional cameras aren't using the smaller memory cards vs larger SD or CFExpress cards?

When enough folks glue their heads to the walls of the corporate headquarters in protest, the manufacturers are bound to acquiesce.

1 year 5 months ago #745870 by Ian Stone

Razky wrote:

Kelly Lambert wrote: They have high speed 512GB micro SD cards these days. How come professional cameras aren't using the smaller memory cards vs larger SD or CFExpress cards?

When enough folks glue their heads to the walls of the corporate headquarters in protest, the manufacturers are bound to acquiesce.

Huh?  What sort of 'I didn't inhale' jiberish are you speaking of?   :rofl:

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #745914 by Norse Photographer
+1 that’s what I heard is that micro SD cards are slower speeds.  But regardless, I’ve managed to misplaced regular SD cards, so I’d prefer the larger physical size cards!

1 year 5 months ago #745956 by Neil Dulay
But micro SD’s have gotten faster over the years, but just not as fast as others, which have gotten blazing fast. 

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #746004 by CharleyL
And the "higher density" and smaller cards are being reported as running hotter during use. So why risk your photo data to significantly higher density cards that might go bad and loose your photos. I'm not in a "rush" to go with new software, like Windows 11, because there are always problems with them when they are the "newest and greatest". I'm quite comfortable with using what I already have and know it works, until the dust settles around the newest and greatest fever settles down. So higher density storage media, for me, fits in this same category. Let somebody else have the problems until they become more reliable, and maybe not overheat. 

Charley

1 year 4 months ago #746062 by Rob Cline
Micro SD's have gotten faster, however so have the other cards at larger leaps forward

Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746170 by Photo Junky
Thankfully there aren't enough reasons TO use them in professional cameras

Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746315 by Sawyer

TCav wrote: microSD cards are slower than SD cards.

:agree:   Yep, so true.  Slower and more prone to misplacing as well!   

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024