How do you balance photography and videography as a solo photographer

1 year 4 months ago #746033 by CatherineW
I've been getting more and more work where the client wants both photos and video.  No my cameras are both set up for shooting 4K video, but one is always in my hand and generally speaking the other is on my side with different lens in it.   So technically I could set up one camera for video and put that in place, then just change lenses as needed.  But what about moving the video camera when I'm on the other side of the venue shooting photos?  

How are you juggling video and photos as a solo shooter?  

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746082 by Pete Franko
Have you considered hiring an assistant to hold and move around with the second camera body?

Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746164 by CharleyL
For the times that I have done this (Weddings), my video camera was placed on a tall tripod behind the last row of attendees. I carried a remote trigger, and started the video camera as the ceremony began, letting it run for the full length of the ceremony in fixed zoom and focus on the podium area, but zoomed large enough for the full wedding party (Bridesmaids, Best Man, etc.)

I then used a still camera wherever needed to capture the special moments as best as possible. Since only one photographer, they were charged very little for the additional video.

Charley

1 year 4 months ago #746220 by Photo Junky

Pete Franko wrote: Have you considered hiring an assistant to hold and move around with the second camera body?

Yep, I was going to say the same thing.  Hire an assistant for the times you need to shoot video and photos.  

Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746260 by Ian Stone
That's what I do.  If you are not sure where to find someone, a few years ago I posted a job on Craigslist for 'Photographers Assistant' and outlined the experience I wanted them to have.  I had a number of people apply and I ultimately hired someone who I call when needed and they shoot things that I'm unable to (second shooter, or in the case of needed video, video).  This works out really well.  

Hope this helps

Photo Comments
1 year 3 months ago #746441 by Roman Omell
+1 hire a second shooter for the event 

Photo Comments
1 year 3 months ago #746591 by Pete Franko

CharleyL wrote: For the times that I have done this (Weddings), my video camera was placed on a tall tripod behind the last row of attendees. I carried a remote trigger, and started the video camera as the ceremony began, letting it run for the full length of the ceremony in fixed zoom and focus on the podium area, but zoomed large enough for the full wedding party (Bridesmaids, Best Man, etc.)

I then used a still camera wherever needed to capture the special moments as best as possible. Since only one photographer, they were charged very little for the additional video.

Charley

That's actually a good idea, the only thing I would be nervous about is someone knocking it over.  

Photo Comments
1 year 3 months ago #746601 by CharleyL
"That's actually a good idea, the only thing I would be nervous about is someone knocking it over."

Well, I didn't get into the finer details of how I did this. My camera tripod has a 1/4-20 stud on the bottom of it's center shaft. The tripod designer did this so the gimbal could be attached there with the camera upside down for shots closer to the ground than the camera legs can be shortened. To this 1/4-20 stud I have attached a 1/4-20 Eye Nut, bought from Amazon, which gives me a 3/4" diameter ring that allows tying the tripod down, or just attaching a heavy weight to it using a D ring. The camera bag is usually sufficient, but most anything heavy can be used. I have used this tripod held down this way in 40 mph wind and it has not blown over. Inside in tight quarters, I also use a weight of at least 5 pounds, or the camera bag, which is actually a large "shooters bag" that was intended for taking guns and ammo to a range, but it's larger than most camera bags and is usually packed full, so heavy. I also do my best to position the tripod out of normal traffic areas, or some kind of barrier gets placed around it. So, outside of some mischievous kids knocking it over, I think it's pretty safe.

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024