How often are you cleaning your sensor?

1 year 5 months ago #746064 by Nathan D
I've gotten to the point where I've been cleaning my sensor each month.  Is there such thing as cleaning it to much?  I'd like to hear from you all on frequency that you are cleaning your sensors?  

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #746090 by CharleyL
I'm not at all a fan of sensor cleaning. It's too easy to damage the surface of the sensor. I do clean my lenses often, never change lenses in the wind, and always keep the lens caps on when not actually shooting. The lenses do get dirty, especially the end facing what you are shooting. It happens ! Being very careful about exposing the rear of the lens and the sensor should almost eliminate the need to clean them manually. The sensor in my cameras get cleaned automatically when I power off the cameras, don't yours ? If anything ever happened to one of my camera sensors that required cleaning, other than automatically, I would be sending or taking the camera to a professional camera service shop. I would never do it myself. Lenses, yes. Sensor, never.

Charley 

1 year 5 months ago #746102 by TCav
Clean the sensor when it needs it, and not before.

1 year 5 months ago #746107 by Shadowfixer1
You don't actually clean the sensor. You clean the glass filter in front of the sensor. Back in the day I had to clean my Fuji S2 Pro and my Nikon D200. I've had Olympus gear since 2014. Three different cameras and none have needed cleaning. Whatever they do or however they do it, it's amazing.
1 year 5 months ago #746108 by Razky
Bought a DSLR in 2006, another in 2014 - they get pretty regular use, and neither has required cleaning.

1 year 5 months ago #746205 by Rick Larin
Just as needed, so if I find crud on my photos, I’ll clean my sensor then.  

Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746313 by Happy Hour
When I have dots in my photos!  

Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746364 by Hassner
Same, only when I pick up spots. 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746409 by Ian Stone
Dang, only when it needs it.  Last year I had a spot in all my photos for nearly 2 months before I finally cleaned the sensor!  Now that was a little extra work to remove the spot in photos.  Just sharing where that was in priority for me. 

Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746410 by Razky
Same as with a lens - better to keep it clean than to keep cleaning it.

1 year 4 months ago #746497 by Sassy Girl
Just had mine cleaned 2 days ago!  But last time before that was OMG, nearly a year ago. 

Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746590 by Pete Franko
Something like the sensor IMHO, only needs to be cleaned when needed.  If you go cleaning your sensor every month for example, that's just unnecessary risk of scratching your sensor.  

Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746693 by Justin
+1  and I have someone else do it as well

Very nice to meet you!
Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746748 by Prago
Only as needed 

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746850 by Kenta
OMG, not as much as I should.  I’ll usually get my camera professionally cleaned once a year. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024