Does artistic ability decline as we get older?

1 year 5 months ago #746149 by BenjaminSPetrofsky
I have read numerous websites that artistic and creative ability declines as we age. Have any of you noticed this?

1 year 5 months ago #746152 by Stanly
Interesting thought, I would say that answer depends on the individual.  Some gain artistic ability, while others slowly phase away.  

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #746156 by TCav
Vincent Van Gogh didn't start painting until he was 30.

www.scientificamerican.com/article/does-...ty-decline-with-age/

1 year 5 months ago #746157 by Razky
Grandma Moses started painting in earnest at 78.

1 year 4 months ago #746254 by Ian Stone
man I hope not!

Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746336 by Wyrick Photography
Completely depends on the person, and how often they are getting out and practicing

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746397 by Kenta
100% agree about it all depends on the person and how often they are getting out and practicing.  

Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746399 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Benjamin

You have several thoughts / responses above to contemplate upon

Personally - in my late 70s I can answer you in several ways
yes- various abilities =do= fade as one ages. eg- things I could carry in my 40s are now too heavy to carry these days. However, photographically it seems to me that it now is a case of "been there - done / photographed that" - for most things, so do I need another photo of (whatever)? ... so more and more, I view and enjoy rather than grab the camera and shoot away

From a visual / creative point of view, pop into my Flickr site and look thru this years images and make your own mind up as to whether my creative juices are fading or not

Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 year 4 months ago #746400 by Hassner
I was on fire in my 30’s and 40’s. 
Had some exhibitions, lots of new ideas for more.

Now at 63, nothing.
I think digital might have helped, suddenly the world was swamped with images.

I believe it is something that needs to be constantly nurtured, exercised, like a foreign language.
Then it might last longer. 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746440 by Greg Friedman
I'll report back in 20 years :rofl:

Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746511 by Jessy Page
Artistic ability I think will be subjective, but I would like to think assuming you don't have anything serious happening up in the brain, you will continue to shot as well or improve as you age. 

Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #746513 by CharleyL
Well, at 80 I feel that my artistic abilities haven't declined, but they are getting a bit muddy. I still have great ideas, but don't think through the details quite as well as 20+ years ago. They still come to me, if I spend more time thinking about the subject, but not immediately or nearly so, like they did years ago.

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024