Violent attack on wedding photographer in S.F. caught on video

1 year 2 months ago #747419 by KENT MELTON
WOW, San Fran is getting so bad.  Car break in capital and now people just getting robbed in daylight with so many around?!

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #747451 by Karen Comella
OMG that is so terrible!  I was just reading a few weeks ago about how the car break ins have gotten so bad there.  Sure makes you think twice about how much gear you carry with you!

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #747556 by Red Tail
WTH, people have problems.  More reason to not visit there.  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #747606 by CharleyL
From my memory, this took place a year or more ago. I can remember the video. I can also remember another video where equipment was stolen from the trunk area of a car by smashing the rear window of the fastback car while the car and owners were stopped in heavy traffic. Smash, grab, and run. They obviously had seen what had been placed in the car trunk and followed the car, waiting for the chance to steal the equipment.

But I would still be as prepared as possible to avoid an incident like this. Have your assistant (friend) wearing the backpack, and having a wrist restraint on the camera to photographer connection would keep the high value items separated and secure as well as reasonably possible. Keeping an eye on your surroundings for possible suspicious people would be a good idea too. Move to another location and watch to see if they follow you, might also help you find a patrolman or guard to tell what is believed to be happening might help you too. Unfortunately, no place in the public is 100% safe from this now days. Having insurance for your equipment would help you financially recover from this, but photos taken that day would be lost, unless the camera was recovered. None of your photo gear is worth losing your life for. Insurance can replace it, an a re-shoot can help to replace photos lost. 

Be careful out there. Almost all of my outdoor photo shoots take place in several local parks, usually with a friend or assistant to keep an eye on my bags and surroundings, and having once worked in one of these parks, I consider them to be "quite safe" from this kind of problem, but at my age I work much more in my studio now and only rarely go anywhere away from home and studio for a shoot.

Charley 

1 year 2 months ago #747674 by Chris Grimm
Criminals have gotten more bold all over.  At least here in the states and that is related to all the defunding the police issues we have seen over the last few years.  If this was to get fully executed, this problem would be much greater.  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #747687 by Crammer
One word: WOW

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #747806 by Scuba Mike
Brutal 

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #747846 by Stanly
In all fairness for SF, this is happening all over the place.  Just so happens someone managed to catch this on video.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #747890 by No Show
Exactly, look at Seattle, NYC and Detroit for other examples of cities that have had their share of trouble with crime in recent years. 

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #747970 by Kenta
More reason to carry pepper spray with you

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748064 by Uplander
Crazy's all over the place

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748155 by Brenda Dantzig
So did they catch this person?  

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #748940 by Jim Photo
Time to look into carrying proper protection if you are in a sketchy area.  AND know how to use it with out hesitation.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024