Printing company dropped the ball big time!

1 year 2 months ago #748165 by J Hemingway
This is unfolding as we speak so going to remain vague for obvious reasons.  We drop ship from printer to my clients and have been doing this for 9 years.  During the last 10 months I have noticed some of my clients complaining to me that their prints have been arriving late, and when I say late, todays client stated he just received their print, and that was ordered nearly 7 weeks ago!!  :toetap:  THEN to make matter worse, the printer included MY invoice with cost in the package, revealing how much profit I charged to my client.  My client called the printer and asked why it took so long to arrive.  The printer company told my client the print was just ordered last week.  WTH?!  My credit card charge from them 7 weeks ago FOR THIS EXACT print disagrees.  I'm so annoyed.  So is my client, and this looks so bad on me.  

Who are you using for canvas prints?  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748169 by NickSano
WOW that is pretty crummy of them.  Good luck with all of that.  

Bay Photo is who I have been using, they do good job, but nothing exciting either.  I was just talking to my wife last week that we might look to move to another printer if we can find one that has better print quality and fast shipping.  Shipping part seems to be the tricky part for many of these companies.  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #748170 by Craig Stone
WOW is right!!, that is horrible way to do business.  Did you contact your printer company and hear what was the excuse?  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748173 by Camera Diva
Millers is who you want to check.  If not, look up this sites YouTube channel, they have a number of print reviews that show everything.  

Good luck!

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748176 by Baydream
Photographytalk has a whole series on canvas print quality (a sort of rating competition) on YouTube. Alex does a great job of rating about 20 different companies over the year. Check them out to see who is delivering what. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748180 by ShutterPal
Yeah I would be pi$$ed off as well.  That is messed up.  Personally I've been using Nations Photo Lab, which are pretty good.  I've had no complaints from clients on these.   

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748185 by Chester Foster
Bay Photo will treat you fair, maybe not the best price or quality, but these ship on time

1 year 2 months ago #748217 by Ontherocks
Yeah that is screwed up on the printing company.  They need to make that right, but then again, claiming the blame on you is very screwed up.  Are you sure they are stating YOU placed the order last week vs THEY?

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748236 by Colorado Mike
Dang, that is messed up.   We use White Wall, which is printed overseas in Germany, but shipping is pretty quick to the states.  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748241 by Inez Villarin
Horrible, sorry I can't recommend a printer myself.  The one we had been using closed doors last month.  I tried out one company (Canvas on demand) and can't recommend them.  Not happy.  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748276 by KENT MELTON
What is the printer company telling you?  I would be ticked off that they are putting the blame on you, especially seeing you have receipt of payment from 7 weeks ago.  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748286 by CharleyL
NEVER Drop Ship. You loose control of the quality and have no idea what your customer is getting. Re-sending it after you receive it and assure that it is of the quality that you want your customer to see is the only way to guarantee they are getting what you intend for them to see. Your customer's name and address should never get in the hands of your subcontractor printing service.

This is a perfect example of why you should never do this. It has very likely cost you a good customer, but you might get to keep them, if you give them their photos at the price that the printing company gave them, explaining that there were "problems" and hoping that they will be happy at the reduced price, but be certain to collect the payment from them and tell them not to pay that printing service. Then take the whole issue up with your printing service, giving them the money for the work, but only after the long stern talk with their head office. Then go find another more reliable printing service for your future work.

It's your fault for drop shipping, so it's your loss for any profit that you were hoping to make on this sale. Just do whatever you can to make things right with your customer, so they will be willing to do business with you again. Good customers are hard to keep, but very easy to loose, and they tell others about it when they don't get what is expected or get over charged. 

Charley

1 year 2 months ago #748303 by Randy Shaw
I've never had issues with drop shipping, but reading this has me thinking.  Sorry to hear about the drama you need to deal with.  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748341 by Sandy Smith Photos
That is terrible,I hope the printer company smartens up and takes responsibility for this.  I would be disappointed also.

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #748382 by Pat White
I can't agree to 'never' dropship, there are benefits.  However as shown in this example, risks with drop shipping.  From my experience, I've never had any issues, but then again I'm dealing with professionals and well established companies.  Is this a small company you had been working with? 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024