Would shooting someone welding damage camera sensor?

1 year 2 months ago #748287 by Mike McKinnon
If I'm running a 5 stop ND that should still allow me to show what is happening but cut down on the light from the welder hitting the sensor.  But will it be enough to prevent damage? 

1 year 2 months ago #748294 by TCav
I'm guessing that you're not talking about any long exposures, so you should be ok.

But if you're using a mirrorless camera, or 'Live View' in a dSLR, I'd watch out.

1 year 2 months ago #748330 by Mayo
The welding masks are 9 stops right?  

Canon 5D - Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4L
Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748352 by CharleyL
Non variable welding masks are usually 10 or higher, and the filter glass can be changed to any number desired. The new electronic auto darkening masks are adjustable from about 7 to 15. I love my Miller Digital Elite helmet. It wirelessly senses the arc as well as the light from the arc, so much less failure to darken when the arc is struck.  My son and I both have them. Yes, we are experienced welders with a full welding/fabrication shop. I'm usually working when there, so haven't used my cameras to take welding photos, but you should be good using an ND filter setting of 7 or higher. If in close to the arc with the lens, you need to protect your lens from spatters of molten metal, so put a cheap UV filter on top of the ND filter that you can discard when it gets damaged. If this close, putting a protective cover over the camera would be a good idea too. I would do both if the camera is closer than about 5' away from the arc.

Charley

1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #748390 by Adam S
Can’t say I’ve done this, but was thinking about this and believe I can give some good advice here. If you're out there looking to photograph someone welding, you might be worried about damaging your camera's sensor, I get it. I mean, welding is a pretty intense process, right? It generates a lot of light and heat, and you might be thinking that could fry your camera's electronics.

Well, let me tell you, it's possible that welding could damage your camera, but it's not necessarily a given. I mean, modern cameras are pretty tough and well-built, and they're designed to handle a certain amount of exposure to light and heat.That being said, if you're photographing someone welding, it's definitely a good idea to take some precautions to protect your camera. You might want to use a lens hood to block some of the sparks from hitting it (depending how close you are), or you could even use a UV filter, stacked on top of your 10 stop ND filter (might want to start with 5 stop) to help protect the lens from damage.

And, of course, it's always a good idea to use a tripod or a steady surface when photographing welding, so that you can minimize the amount of camera shake and help keep your shots sharp.  Just so you don’t need to do again and expose (no pun intended) your camera to that over and over.

So really, if you're looking to photograph someone welding, don't freak out about damaging your camera's sensor. Just use some common sense (not trying to be a butt head here), take a few precautions, and you should be able to get some great shots without any problems.

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748523 by Ontherocks
One of the first things I was told is not point your camera at the son.  Photographing a welding machine can't be any good for your camera.  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748525 by miscat
I would say not. The arc has a lot of deep UV in it but not a lot of far IR.

Far UV is absorbed quite well by glass for a start and I'm not sure whether it would be harmful on an exposed sensor anyway.

Just overexposing a sensor will not damage it. Heating the sensor will but your arc has almost no heat IR, unlike the sun.

The problem our eyes have is the UV, which our corneas do not like.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024