White balance during blue hour??

1 year 2 months ago #748460 by Paul Velasco
I've noticed that when you set the camera to auto white balance, certain scenes during the blue hour, the camera usually pegs the white balance around 7500, but I think during the blue hour, 5500 compliments the blues already naturally going on and gets more the tones to my liking.  7500 is definitely warmer.  Will you manually set you white balance or are you letting the camera set it for you?

1 year 2 months ago #748464 by CharleyL
Get a "White Balance Card". Take a photo of it before you take the photo. Then in post, you can correct the white balance to match the card. 

During the photo shoot you can repeat this, taking a photo of the card before taking each group of photos. Then it's easy in Post to get the correct white balance for each group, no matter what the Sunlight color is. In most Post software you just click on "Set White Balance" and then point and click on the gray card in the image just before the group that you are about to edit. All of that group of photos can then be corrected to the correct white balance at the time the photo was taken. 

My white balance card is a folding reflector about 24" square. It is white on one side and the proper shade of gray on the other. It has spring wire edges like many folding fabric items available today, so just a twist folds it into a 10" flat round 1 1/2" thick bag for carrying, and it pops open for use when you remove it from the bag . There are smaller available, even credit card size, but smaller doesn't double as a very good reflector, and why I have this size. You can get them in whatever size you prefer in most good camera shops or at Amazon.

Search for "White Balance Card"

Charley

www.amazon.com/Vidpro-WB-24-White-Balanc...%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-19

1 year 2 months ago #748518 by Shadowfixer1
I differ a little on the advice given. If you try to correct the white balance to the correct white balance, you may lose the color you desire. Try leaving the white balance on Daylight to see if it gives you the effect you wish. Same advice for sunsets. Setting the correct white balance may wash out your sunset color.
1 year 2 months ago #748519 by CharleyL
"I differ a little on the advice given. If you try to correct the white balance to the correct white balance, you may lose the color you desire. Try leaving the white balance on Daylight to see if it gives you the effect you wish. Same advice for sunsets. Setting the correct white balance may wash out your sunset color."

Yes, well said. I should have said this too. Achieving "White Balance" does not always give the desired results.

Thanks Randy.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Apr 18, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024