Photos taken at the cameras base ISO setting?

1 year 2 months ago #749100 by The Man
I'm after some opinions this morning.  Let's say you are taking photos with your camera in RAW and you have your camera set to the lowest possible ISO setting available.  Let's say that is 100.  Let's also say your camera is mounted a tripod and focus is locked on and you are using live view.  All that into consideration, is there any need to add any sharpening or better yet, noise reduction in post?  

If so, why?  Or would this suggest a defect in the camera?  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #749102 by TCav
First, to be clear, "Sharpening" doesn't make an image sharper. It just manipulates the pixels to increase the contrast in edges. It's called Acutance . The only way to increase sharpness is to get a camera with a higher resolution image sensor.

Second, image noise is errant pixels. At the base ISO, noise reduction is more likely to remove detail than to remove noise.

So, I wouldn't bother with either of them.

1 year 2 months ago #749117 by CharleyL
I agree with TCav.

As long as you have adequate light, your camera will be doing the best that it can at 100 ISO. 

Charley

1 year 2 months ago #749134 by The Man

TCav wrote: First, to be clear, "Sharpening" doesn't make an image sharper. It just manipulates the pixels to increase the contrast in edges. It's called Acutance . The only way to increase sharpness is to get a camera with a higher resolution image sensor.

Second, image noise is errant pixels. At the base ISO, noise reduction is more likely to remove detail than to remove noise.

So, I wouldn't bother with either of them.

No kidding!  

So when you apply a sharpening mask in Lightroom, just to clarify, it's applying sharpness as you have outlined on the highlight spots illustrated in the mask right?  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #749141 by Esseff

The Man wrote: I'm after some opinions this morning.  Let's say you are taking photos with your camera in RAW and you have your camera set to the lowest possible ISO setting available.  Let's say that is 100.  Let's also say your camera is mounted a tripod and focus is locked on and you are using live view.  All that into consideration, is there any need to add any sharpening or better yet, noise reduction in post?  

The camera isn't necessarily defective, more likely it just isn't very good.

As already mentioned the software sharpening tool doesn't actually sharpen. Chances are you could ruin your photo by trying to compensate for something that should ideally take place at the source. Lots of things can affect sharpness. Using a tripod is a good start but also finetuning your shutter speed to negate motion blur will help, as well as selecting the correct aperture. Motion blur can also come from less obvious sources like pressing the shutter button (use a timer or remote instead) or the mirror flipping up in a dslr (use the lock mirror function).

ISO is also different from camera to camera. ISO 100 will not be be the same across all the different sensors. Have a look at the noise levels of three different cameras at ISO 100:

So back to my first point: it's possible your camera just isn't able to do better. That doesn't it can't take great photos but you will need to stay within it's limits.

Hope I'm not telling you anything you already know.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Man
1 year 2 months ago #749154 by Owen

CharleyL wrote: I agree with TCav.

As long as you have adequate light, your camera will be doing the best that it can at 100 ISO. 

Charley

+1  Yep, I'll double down on this as well.  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #749214 by Shadowfixer1
Your camera will produce it's best images at base ISO. It will have the best dynamic range and color accuracy at base ISO. My camera has an extended ISO of 64 and 100. I have used those but I also know that I'm giving up some dynamic range. My base ISO is 200. Use the base ISO unless you have a specific need to vary from base.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Man
1 year 2 months ago #749237 by The Man

Esseff wrote:

The Man wrote: I'm after some opinions this morning.  Let's say you are taking photos with your camera in RAW and you have your camera set to the lowest possible ISO setting available.  Let's say that is 100.  Let's also say your camera is mounted a tripod and focus is locked on and you are using live view.  All that into consideration, is there any need to add any sharpening or better yet, noise reduction in post?  

The camera isn't necessarily defective, more likely it just isn't very good.

As already mentioned the software sharpening tool doesn't actually sharpen. Chances are you could ruin your photo by trying to compensate for something that should ideally take place at the source. Lots of things can affect sharpness. Using a tripod is a good start but also finetuning your shutter speed to negate motion blur will help, as well as selecting the correct aperture. Motion blur can also come from less obvious sources like pressing the shutter button (use a timer or remote instead) or the mirror flipping up in a dslr (use the lock mirror function).

ISO is also different from camera to camera. ISO 100 will not be be the same across all the different sensors. Have a look at the noise levels of three different cameras at ISO 100:

So back to my first point: it's possible your camera just isn't able to do better. That doesn't it can't take great photos but you will need to stay within it's limits.

Hope I'm not telling you anything you already know.

WOW, awesome reviewing on my smartphone while driving, good stuff, Thank you!!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024