Movies about photographers?

1 year 2 months ago #749255 by Sanford
What movies have been done about a photographer?  I'm talking about a movie based on true events.  

Has there been any?  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #749256 by TCav

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sanford
1 year 2 months ago #749259 by Sanford

TCav wrote: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansel_Adams#Documentaries

Thank you, I had seen that from my earlier searches.  I was trying to find major hollywood movies done on a photographer.  Has there been?  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #749262 by TCav

1 year 2 months ago #749269 by db3348
Sanford,
if you would include a full-length feature biographical documentary,  what about " Finding Vivian Maier" ,  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2714900/

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sanford
1 year 2 months ago #749275 by Sanford

db3348 wrote: Sanford,
if you would include a full-length feature biographical documentary,  what about " Finding Vivian Maier" ,  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2714900/

Oh excellent thank you.  Seriously though, when you think about all the Marvel movies and gang banger flicks, which nothing is wrong with these.  I'm sure there must have been a photographer with some drama in their life that would have made a good hollywood movie though?  

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749369 by Hoss
Sadly, nothing main stream as you ask.  Just a bunch of documentaries.  

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749395 by TCav
There's 'Under Fire' (Nick Nolte, Gene Hackman), inspired by the murder of ABC reporter Bill Stewart .

There's also 'Salvador' (James Woods, Jim Belushi), about photojournalist Richard Boyle in covering the Salvadoran Civil War . Boyle cowrote the screenplay with director Oliver Stone.

1 year 1 month ago #749396 by Hassner
The Bang Bang Club was a true story shot as a Hollywood movie.
Four photojournalists (we called them press photographers here) that decided to work together to get the best shots of the riots to end apartheid. I was press photographer then, nearly lost my life twice. 
One lost his life from a stray bullet, another Pulitzer prize photographer took his own life... 

www.imdb.com/title/tt1173687/  

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749445 by icepics
Did a search for a movie I've seen but couldn't think of the name of it - and surprisingly found it right away - 'The Killing Fields'. The movie's not just about a photojournalist but involves him during a war in southeast Asia. Fairly serious and intense kind of movie.

There's one I've seen about a studio/fashion photographer, found that quick in a search too - 'Blow Up' made in the '60s (in what was described as 'swinging London'!) The photographer turns out to have by chance taken photos with a murder being committed in the background (I think, I saw it a long time ago) when he blows up/enlarges a negative...

And there's a Hitchcock movie 'Rear Window' with James Stewart as a press photographer who's laid up with an injury seeing what's happening in an apt. building across the courtyard. Grace Kelly plays his girlfriend, and after they suspect that Raymond Burr's character bumped somebody off, she goes snooping.

Hassner, the term press photographer was more common here in the US from the '40s into maybe the '60s? '70s?; I think photojournalist is more commonly used today. Press cameras were considered to be those big ol' Speed Graphics.

Sharon
Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749449 by TCav
There's 'The Year of Living Dangerously' (Mel Gibson, Sigourney Weaver). Linda Hunt (NCIS: LA) won an Academy Award for her portrayal of photojournalist Billy Kwan in the waning days of President Sukarno's regime in Indonesia.

1 year 1 month ago #749640 by Kenta
What was the name of the one with Robin Williams?  

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749669 by TCav

Kenta wrote: What was the name of the one with Robin Williams?  

One Hour Photo .

1 year 1 month ago #749671 by Hassner

icepics wrote:
Hassner, the term press photographer was more common here in the US from the '40s into maybe the '60s? '70s?; I think photojournalist is more commonly used today. Press cameras were considered to be those big ol' Speed Graphics.

I was “press photographer" in the first half of the eighties. My boss and a few others was older and still worked with Speed graphics. Imagine, instead of 36 shots, you had one, then flip the plate. Then one and change to the next plate. Imagine doing sport. 10 plates, 20 shots. They published 3. Not 10 films 360 shots, publishing 6. Nowadays 3600 shots on digital, maybe publishing 10? 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024