Where did the term "Cheese" come from with portraits

1 year 1 month ago #749490 by Kristy Blake
So i have a question here.  Who came up with saying "Cheese" during portraits?  How far does this go back into history? 

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749496 by TCav
It's just a way to get people to seem to be smiling while the shutter is open.

Earlier in the history of photography, many people had bad teeth, so getting people to smile for photos was generally discouraged.

See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Say_cheese

1 year 1 month ago #749558 by CharleyL
When taking somewhat "posed" shots of children, even teens, they usually expect me to tell them to say "Cheese", but I throw them a curve and ask them to say "Froggy". It usually causes a bit of a chuckle, but when they say it I get the result that I want, and the shutter clicks just at the very end of their spoken Froggy word. For my taste, it actually produces a nicer and more natural smile. This works well for single and group shots of kids.

Rather than "posing", or taking "pop" shots, for the more serious portrait photo sessions, I tend to prefer having a friendly conversation with my subjects/models to get them more relaxed, and then catch shots of them during the conversation. It just produces more natural images than "posing" does. It sometimes requires more shots to catch the more interesting positions and facial features, but I have found that the better shots usually come from these conversations. I may start out with a few "poses", but then try to get them more relaxed with conversation, and then work to achieve those more natural looking shots during the conversation, usually giving them slight face and body position directions a few times during this conversation. Casual talk about what interests them like hobbies, favorite foods, boy friends, etc. gets their mind a bit off of this "photography thing" and on to "happy things" in their lives. They relax and the shots look more natural because of it. A camera and bright lights in their face evokes a bit of "uncertainty and slight fear in them" because it is a very un-natural thing in their lives. The conversation gets them to relax and think about other things, and you don't get those rigid muscle looks of fear in their portrait shots. Getting them to imagine themselves as "favorite movie characters" sometimes produces some great shots too.    

Charley

1 year 1 month ago #749674 by Ryan O
Go in front of your mirror and say "cheese" and see what it does to your lips and such :)

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024