Best time to travel to New Zealand?

1 year 1 month ago #749894 by Peter P
My wife wants to go somewhere that we haven't been before.  It was either Africa or New Zealand, however I couldn't talk my wife into a safari.  So Africa will need to wait for me, and we do New Zealand.  But I want to avoid the horrible heat and ideally when things are as green as possible.  

Can you make some suggestions?  

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749900 by nizama
The best time to visit New Zealand is during the summer months of December to March. That’s when you can expect long, bright, sunny days and temperatures between 61°F and 75°F. So, It’s an ideal time to visit the lovely beaches or enjoy the many outdoor activities, such as hiking and mountain biking.

If I were you, I would plan my trip during this period and book my accommodation and transportation in advance. I would also check the weather forecast before I go and pack accordingly. I would love to see the stunning scenery and experience the rich culture of New Zealand. :)

1 year 1 month ago #749965 by Peter P
Awesome, driving right now and will read when I'm home.  Thank you!

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749978 by db3348
Subjectively,  I  found the autumn (fall)  March – April – May and spring (September – October) seasons more photographically appealing .  Just as the snow and autumn colours are starting to hit upper peaks of the Wanaka mountains (South Island)  or just before the snow starts to disappear .   And there is a crisp freshness in the air .

Admittedly you may have to contend with crowds with the same hopes as yourself .

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749980 by Ozzie_Traveller

Peter P wrote: My wife wants to go somewhere that we haven't been before.  .... Can you make some suggestions?  

G'day mate

NZ - being so far south does not to my knowledge suffer from "But I want to avoid the horrible heat ..."

Australia's South Island, otherwise called Tassie by us locals, is also a very desirable tourist location for 'northerners'.  It is small enough to easily drive and see just about all of it during a 3-week visit, but us Aussies often make it a 6-week visit as we often have this strange notion of stopping for a few days and just enjoying the views

Tassie is 300km north-south and the same east-west, and the last time we were there we clocked up 5000km while criss-crossing the island and enjoying the food, the wines, the scenery and the occasional boat trip to places where we could not get to otherwise

btw-- your US dollar is worth about $1,35 once you come Downunder

Hope this helps
Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 year 1 month ago #750002 by Norse Photographer
MAN, I would go in a heartbeat, any time.  Rain or shine, wish I had the $$ and time to travel there.  

1 year 4 weeks ago #750157 by Ava00
New Zealand is a picturesque country with a moderate climate that entices visitors year-round. However, the optimum time to travel to New Zealand varies depending on individual preferences and activities. Here are some preferred seasons as per your objectives:

Spring (Mar-May) and Autumn (Sept-Nov): A fantastic time to view green landscapes and evade the heat.

Winter (Dec-Feb): Ideal for going skiing in the spectacular snow-capped mountains of New Zealand.

Summer (Jun-Aug): The busiest season for tourists, summer days tend to be hot and humid. However, popular tourist destinations can become crowded, and the landscapes may be dull due to the lack of rainfall.

1 year 4 weeks ago #750193 by Ozzie_Traveller

Ava00 wrote: New Zealand is a picturesque country with a moderate climate that entices visitors year-round. However, the optimum time to travel to New Zealand varies depending on individual preferences and activities. Here are some preferred seasons as per your objectives:

Spring (Mar-May) and Autumn (Sept-Nov): A fantastic time to view green landscapes and evade the heat.
Winter (Dec-Feb): Ideal for going skiing in the spectacular snow-capped mountains of New Zealand.
Summer (Jun-Aug): The busiest season for tourists, summer days tend to be hot and humid. However, popular tourist destinations can become crowded, and the landscapes may be dull due to the lack of rainfall.

G'day mate
While your sentiments are beaut, you seem to have missed the differences between "Up there" to "Downunder"
Summer Downunder is Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb
Winter Downunder is May-June-July and possibly August ... (it's variable)
However the shoulder seasons of Autumn and Spring are usually "real beaut mate"

Phil

1 year 3 weeks ago #750263 by Roger Lang
Old friend of mine spent years in New Zealand and loves visiting so I've heard a ton from him over the years.  He's also a photographer and we had spoken many times about getting over there on a joint photography trip. 

Onto your question...the best time to travel to New Zealand for photography depends on what you want to capture. If you're after snow-capped mountains and winter wonderlands, then the best time to go would be during the winter months (June to August).On the other hand, if you're after lush green landscapes, blooming flowers, and warmer temperatures, then spring (September to November) and summer (December to February) would be the ideal times to visit.Of course, it's worth noting that New Zealand's weather can be notoriously unpredictable, so you might want to bring some waterproof gear regardless of when you visit. But hey, as the saying goes, "If you don't like the weather in New Zealand, just wait five minutes!"

Photo Comments
1 year 3 weeks ago #750295 by Jessy Page
What's funny is when I was a kid, I always thought New Zealand and Australia were the same :toocrazy:

Photo Comments
1 year 3 weeks ago #750330 by Ozzie_Traveller

Jessy Page wrote: What's funny is when I was a kid, I always thought New Zealand and Australia were the same :toocrazy:

G'day mate

As a kid - yes it is quite possible for anyone to mix up names and places

What one does not expect is when educated adults do it !
We Aussies still find American business people / minor politicians / and even educators / who mix up Austria (in Europe) to Australia (Downunder). 

A year or so back I had an Aussie friend return from the US commenting upon a high school principal there who praised "her very good spoken English ... we thought you spoke Spanish"

Phil

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024