Can a photographer sell copies of photo he took of a famous painting?

1 year 1 month ago #750186 by Fitch
OK, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but forum being a forum, I'm going to ask anyway:  let's say you tour a museum that allows photography and you take a photo of of a print of someone who is long deceased.  Don't copyrights expire after someones death?  Would you be permitted to sell that photo?

Let me spin this another way:  If someone was wearing a strong contrasting color (like red) and in front of a famous painting, now the photo shows both the person and the print, making the person in the photo the subject.  But you still see the print clearly.  Would that be fair game to sell?  *You are photographing the persons back as they are looking at the print.*

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #750189 by TCav
Complicated question. Generally, the painting belongs to either the museum or a patron of the museum, so it's up to them whether or not you can sell an image of their painting. A lot also depends on the quality of your photograph.

See copyright.nova.edu/sistine-chapel/

1 year 1 month ago #750195 by Fitch
Thank you, I'll check out that link.  So does this mean if my work is crappy, I'll be left alone?   :rofl:

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #750198 by TCav
:unsure: Yeah.

1 year 1 month ago #750260 by Roger Lang
It depends on a few factors, such as the copyright status of the painting, the laws of the country in which the photographer is operating, and any agreements or contracts the photographer may have with the owner of the painting.In general, if the painting is in the public domain (meaning the copyright has expired or was never established), then the photographer may be able to sell copies of photos they took of the painting. However, if the painting is still under copyright protection, the photographer would need to obtain permission from the copyright owner (usually the artist or their estate) to sell copies of the photo.Additionally, some museums or galleries may have their own policies regarding photography and image use (usually posted on website or in place), which the photographer would need to adhere to in order to avoid legal issues.Overall, it's best for the photographer  (You) to do their research on the specific painting in question and consult with legal professionals to ensure that they are not infringing on any copyrights or violating any laws or agreements.

Photo Comments
1 year 2 weeks ago #750976 by Whynaut
Interesting, had no idea.  This was an interesting read.  Bump for others to read. 

1 year 2 weeks ago #750990 by Colorado Mike
Now if this painting was from someone still alive, 100% no correct?  

Photo Comments
11 months 4 weeks ago #751677 by Ivy Winchell
It can't be the main focus of the photo right? 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024