What jobs pay well in photography?

1 year 3 weeks ago #750596 by Brody Kross
My brothers kid is thinking about pursuing photography for a profession, and while I'm not one to rain on someones parade, I was telling him as a career, photography has changes so much in the last 20 years.  He  seems to be it's all cash, glamour and fame.  Which may be the case for a few, certainly not for the masses.  

But I'll play along with this and see if I can help him.  So as the title asks, what are the jobs that still pay well in photography?  

1 year 3 weeks ago #750707 by Sassy Girl
Well the tricky part of this answer is hinged on experience and quality of work.  Someone will limited experience or quality just isn't there, in a booming market might not make as much as potential.  Just something to keep in mind.  

Photo Comments
1 year 3 weeks ago #750728 by KenMan
Not to mention location has a big role in this equation as well!

Photo Comments
1 year 3 weeks ago #750730 by Ozzie_Traveller

Brody Kross wrote: ......  So as the title asks, what are the jobs that still pay well in photography?  

G'day Brody

Back in the mid-70s I wanted to break away from my profession and into photography (for similar reasons as you describe above) wanting to 'make it big' so I chased up the well known professionals in the big city I had moved to live. It soon became apparent that my questions needed to include "how many pro photographers are making a good living from their photography?

Collectively they answered me with the equivalent of "about half"

I retained my tertiary-trained profession and continued my photography for the love of it and the occasional gig that gave me some pocket money. 

It had also become quite apparent to me that most "photographers" were little more than "camera operators" -- whereby the client specified the idea that they had and the photographer just had to line it up and go 'click'

Today--with all of news sites and media and internet "image users" accepting phone images for the named-credit of the author rather than paying for the image ... sorry to say, but to me, there's little to no economic future for tomorrow's professional photographers

Hope this helps in some way
Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 year 2 weeks ago #750839 by No Show
+1 not to mention with AI jumping into the mix.  Tomorrows photographers will need to pivot from what works today and get really creative in order to survive.  

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
1 year 2 weeks ago #750926 by Rick Larin
The ones you are great at

Photo Comments
1 year 2 weeks ago #750991 by Kenta
I see many photographers concerned about AI taking over their jobs.  The best way to future proof yourself is focus on areas that AI can’t touch which will be weddings, events and other live shootings.  Product photography, yeah pretty much game over.  

Photo Comments
1 year 1 week ago #751120 by Photo Junky
:agree:  right now today, that would be the case 

Photo Comments
1 year 1 week ago #751196 by MYoung
I've been happy with doing weddings and engagements.  

Photo Comments
1 year 1 week ago #751209 by icepics
None! lol

But seriously, I don't know if photography ever paid that well, but it was a career for some. These days, I don't know...

He needs to research it. Talk to his counselor at school. Look at pro photographers sites like ASMP and PPA. Talk to photographers at a local newspaper.

He'd have to be pretty good to have a chance at this. It might just realistically be a sideline. He'll need a job with decent pay and benefits.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024