Photographing a party in a stretched limousine?

1 year 2 weeks ago #750614 by Whynaut
Good evening Photographytalk, I'm Charles and I'm a event photographer with a rather interesting question on a gig I picked up for next month.  I'm to photograph a 5 hour bar crawl of bachelor party with expected lengthy drives from a few of the places.  There will be heavy drinking I presume, smoking and tight space in the limo.  Honestly, I've not been in a limo before so not sure what to expect.  I'm hoping I might get some tips here.  In the bars, that is the easy part for me, I'm just not sure how it will be in a limo. 

Alright, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. 

Charles  

1 year 2 weeks ago #750639 by Esseff
Shooting from the hip here... a wide angle lens may be handy.

1 year 2 weeks ago #750700 by Sassy Girl
Night time?  I would use a blazing fast lens, slightly higher ISO.  A good good continuous light if you plan on shooting video.  Those cars usually have vibrant blue or reds in them that will look really nice on print/video.   If there is smoking, try to get shots with your light source on the smoke and the persons face, that contrast can create some dramatic shots.  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 weeks ago #750711 by CharleyL
Maybe you should be asking "what kind of smoke?"

Charley 

1 year 2 weeks ago #750726 by Hassner
I once went to give a friend a hand with a model shoot where she needed to smoke. 
By the 2nd try I noticed he was unhappy and asked him. 
He said he could hardly see the smoke.
I took the one light to a backlit position and told him to try again. 
He was so surprised, I was surprised that he did not know. 
It became a private standing joke between us.

So remember, if you want smoke, backlight it. 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Esseff
1 year 2 weeks ago #750747 by Flash Steven
Well, let me give this a whack.  I've shot some bridal parties, high school prom (someone going to it) from inside a limo.  Pretty straight forward and a few tips and things to keep in mind: 
  1. Use a wide-angle lens: A wide-angle lens (24-35mm) will allow you to capture more of the scene in the confined space of the limousine. This is particularly important for group shots and to show the full context of the party.
  2. Take advantage of available light: Limousines often have ambient lighting, such as LED or fiber optic lights. Use this to your advantage to create unique and atmospheric shots. If necessary, bump up your ISO to capture more light, but be careful not to introduce too much noise into your images.
  3. Bring an external flash: An external flash can help provide additional light, allowing you to freeze action and capture more detail. Bounce the flash off the ceiling or walls to create a more diffused, even light that will flatter your subjects and minimize harsh shadows.
  4. Use a fast lens: A lens with a wide aperture (e.g., f/1.8 or f/2.8) will allow you to shoot in lower light conditions without needing a flash, and can help you achieve a shallow depth of field to isolate your subjects from the background.
  5. Choose the right camera settings: In low light conditions, you may need to use a higher ISO, a wider aperture, and a slower shutter speed to capture enough light. However, be mindful of motion blur and camera shake. If people are moving around a lot, consider using a faster shutter speed to freeze motion.
  6. Capture candid moments: The best party photos are often candid, capturing the genuine emotions and interactions between guests. Keep your camera ready and be observant, looking for moments that tell the story of the party.
  7. Shoot from different angles and perspectives: To create a more dynamic and interesting photo gallery, experiment with different angles and perspectives. Shoot from above, below, and at eye-level. Capture both close-ups and wider shots to provide variety.
  8. Take a mix of posed and candid shots: While candid shots are great, it's also important to take some posed photos of individuals and groups to ensure everyone is well-represented in your final collection.

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
1 year 2 weeks ago #750891 by Zach Mosher
Are you shooting video as well?  If so, you might want to consider using a GoPro with that horizon leveling thing it has.   

Photo Comments
1 year 1 week ago #750973 by Whynaut
Perfect, thank you all for the kind help.  This is helpful!  

1 year 1 week ago #751118 by Photo Junky
15-35mm and 24-70mm is all you are going to need.  That and get really friendly with your ISO.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024