Best for shipping camera gear UPS or FedEx?

1 year 2 weeks ago #750896 by EOS Man
I know it's a crap shoot regardless, but need to ship a camera and not sure which of these is the better of the two.  Both are horrible, but which is not the worst?  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
1 year 2 weeks ago #750932 by TCav
Yeah. Good luck with that.

1 year 2 weeks ago #750940 by CharleyL
I've had so many problems with FedEx that I have added "Do Not Ship FedEx" to my orders. UPS and USPS have their problems, but FedEx either never delivers or insists on leaving packages on the ground under my mailbox 600' from my house, or on top or behind my garbage cans in the rain when my delivery instructions request delivery to the covered porch. Before adding this to my orders, FedEx delivered a $600 lens to the ground behind my mailbox in the rain and it sat there for 2 days before I found it. Fortunately, the lens was sealed in plastic inside the now very soggy cardboard box.

I once received a box of AA rechargeable batteries from Amazon through FedEx and there was a slit in the edge of the plastic envelope. Nothing was inside except the crushed box that the batteries had been shipped in. Another order of these same batteries were traced to the FedEx distribution center, but never made it to me.

I hope you have better luck if you use them. UPS and USPS, and Amazon all deliver to my porch without problems, and one or two deliveries arrive here almost every weekday and Saturday from at least one of them. The boxes aren't crushed either. Amazon sometimes even delivers on Sunday.

Charley

1 year 2 weeks ago #750945 by Colorado Mike
OMG, nothing positive to say about either.  Both have gone from bad to worse over last handful of years

Photo Comments
1 year 2 weeks ago #751002 by Jerrid
I hate to say this, but FedEx.  UPS is the worst of the worst. FedEx is bad, but isn't as bad as UPS.

Photo Comments
1 year 1 week ago #751128 by Gammill
Both suck butt hole.  I seriously can’t stand either.  Sorry but it’s a clip of the coin. Just get insurance.  

Photo Comments
1 year 1 week ago #751192 by Dan Spade

CharleyL wrote: I've had so many problems with FedEx that I have added "Do Not Ship FedEx" to my orders. UPS and USPS have their problems, but FedEx either never delivers or insists on leaving packages on the ground under my mailbox 600' from my house, or on top or behind my garbage cans in the rain when my delivery instructions request delivery to the covered porch. Before adding this to my orders, FedEx delivered a $600 lens to the ground behind my mailbox in the rain and it sat there for 2 days before I found it. Fortunately, the lens was sealed in plastic inside the now very soggy cardboard box.

I once received a box of AA rechargeable batteries from Amazon through FedEx and there was a slit in the edge of the plastic envelope. Nothing was inside except the crushed box that the batteries had been shipped in. Another order of these same batteries were traced to the FedEx distribution center, but never made it to me.

I hope you have better luck if you use them. UPS and USPS, and Amazon all deliver to my porch without problems, and one or two deliveries arrive here almost every weekday and Saturday from at least one of them. The boxes aren't crushed either. Amazon sometimes even delivers on Sunday.

Charley

I was going to ask if you were sure the batteries were lost from FedEx as I have had orders from Amazon where things were opened.  Read some other comments and turns out this was Amazon error from accidently sending off items that had been previously returned.  FedEx still is horrible.  Just have to say that so it doesn't look like I have good things to say about them!  

Photo Comments
1 year 1 week ago #751268 by Crammer
Both have screwed up a number of deliveries of mine, so honestly for me, it's a coin toss of pure luck!  ha ha ha

Photo Comments
1 year 1 week ago #751272 by icepics
I've used UPS to ship framed photos that I submitted to juried art exhibits. I had my own UPS account and prepaid and printed the labels. I could submit and get a pickup later in the day.

But that was before the pandemic; I'm finding many things are delayed or there are problems still.

I have a regular UPS driver; only had two drivers in 10+ years. Maybe it depends on where you live. There's an international airport in my area with lots of shipping hubs/distribution centers.

Sharon
Photo Comments
1 year 1 week ago #751289 by Peter P
At the end of the day, there isn't one that is better than the other.  Just get enough insurance and make sure you stick with terms of service for what you are shipping to cover your bacon. 

Photo Comments
1 year 3 days ago #751480 by Miss Polly
FedEx 

Photo Comments
1 year 2 days ago #751530 by Zach Mosher
I would walk my packages if I realistically could before using either.  They have gotten so bad over the years.  

Photo Comments
11 months 4 weeks ago #751733 by Ira Weber
Over here, DHL

Photo Comments
11 months 3 weeks ago #751785 by EOS_Fan
+FedEx

Photo Comments
11 months 3 weeks ago #751887 by Fitch
Not talking holiday season?  FedEx all the way.  UPS is just unreliable year round.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024