How often are you asking for referrals from your clients?

11 months 10 hours ago #752696 by Kenta
Out of curiosity how often are you asking your clients for referrals?  I’m guessing there is no set rule to how many times you ask, but if you can share how often you ask, that would be much appreciated.  Thank you!!

Photo Comments
10 months 4 weeks ago #752726 by Tim Chiang
Only at the completion of a completed job

Photo Comments
10 months 4 weeks ago #752783 by Toby J
Agree, only when a job is complete

Photo Comments
10 months 3 weeks ago #752838 by Ira Weber
Well here is the thing, the only time that makes the most sense is directly after you either hand them the work you have done, or payment has been made. 

Photo Comments
10 months 3 weeks ago #752980 by Nefarious
Anything more than when you have just performed work for them to me seems excessive.  

Photo Comments
10 months 3 weeks ago #753026 by Sawyer
You start asking for referrals to much and that will send a very wrong message.  Ask only when a job is complete and they are paying you.  IMO that is the only time.  

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
10 months 2 weeks ago #753144 by Kenta
OK, that works for me, thank you.   You mind me asking if you all will send specials out to your clients as way to generate more business?  Friendly reminders of upcoming holidays?  

Photo Comments
10 months 2 weeks ago #753194 by CharleyL
I have never asked for referrals, but made certain that I had business cards in my pockets that I could hand out if approached by anyone interested. If the order included mailing photos to family members, I have always made certain to include a couple of business cards in the photo mailings. I always stamp my business name and address on the back side of every photo taken and printed, and still do this. Careful positioning and operation of the stamp makes a clear imprint, even on the back of photo print paper, but it doesn't sink into the paper well or dry quickly. I follow up with a blotting using a piece of ink blotter paper, so as to avoid smearing, and the photos are laid out face down on a large table for 10 minutes to assure that the stamp ink has fully dried. 

Charley

10 months 1 week ago #753271 by KenMan

CharleyL wrote: I have never asked for referrals, but made certain that I had business cards in my pockets that I could hand out if approached by anyone interested. If the order included mailing photos to family members, I have always made certain to include a couple of business cards in the photo mailings. I always stamp my business name and address on the back side of every photo taken and printed, and still do this. Careful positioning and operation of the stamp makes a clear imprint, even on the back of photo print paper, but it doesn't sink into the paper well or dry quickly. I follow up with a blotting using a piece of ink blotter paper, so as to avoid smearing, and the photos are laid out face down on a large table for 10 minutes to assure that the stamp ink has fully dried. 

Charley

:agree:   power of a business card, and keep it simple  as well 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024