Who is doing pet photography?

2 months 3 weeks ago #760830 by Jasper_1
Where are you finding a consistent stream of clients?  I get one hear and one there from vets in the area, but really looking for a more full time blend of business coming in.  

Any tips you can share would be greatly appreciated.  

2 months 3 weeks ago #760858 by Karen Russell
I do some, but you need to visit the bet shows and if you go to the shelters, which there I donate time and help take good photos that they can use on their website so the animals get adopted.  I leave my contact information there so others can find me.  Also if you go to PetCo, they have events there you can hand out your cards.   

Photo Comments
2 months 3 weeks ago #760924 by KZAM
Get friendly with vets and pet stores

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
2 months 3 weeks ago #760962 by CharleyL
"I do some, but you need to visit the pet shows and if you go to the shelters, which there I donate time and help take good photos that they can use on their website so the animals get adopted.  I leave my contact information there so others can find me.  Also if you go to PetCo, they have events there you can hand out your cards."

I agree. I did this a few years ago and it worked well. Spend your time outside the store, not inside, unless they give you permission. Volunteer walkers come to the store on scheduled days. They bring the pets that are adoptable out for walks and also around inside the store to meet people, and maybe get adopted. Each adoptable pet gets a special tag, so it's easy for anyone to tell those that are up for adoption.

Talk to the store management for the dates when they will be doing this and let them know what you are your planning. Make certain that you have the store manager's permission.

I did this to spread my business cards around in the hope of getting more business, and not just pet photography, and I donated my time and printing costs whenever I did this. When someone adopted a pet, I had them pose with the pet for a more formal portrait shot, and then I printed an 8X10" of them with their new pet that I would later mail to them, or a smaller print if they preferred. I took other shots of those pets not being immediately adopted and gave the smaller 4 X 6"prints of these to the store for them to post in the store, if they wanted them, in the hope that someone would arrive late and ask if a certain animal had been adopted. This happened several times.

My recent pet photo sessions have been in my studio. It's a much more controlled environment, but I only get to meet the pet and the owner this way. No chance to spread my business cards around. I'm no longer healthy enough to stand for long hours.

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024