If you had to start over today, what would you buy?

1 month 1 week ago #764665 by GWS
Would you invest into the same camera system that you have today?  I have a older Nikon D700, which it's no longer even turning on for me.  So I'm starting to think if I want to stay with Nikon or move to Sony.  I keep seeing more people shooting with Sony so, why not?  If i go with newer Nikon, I'll need to get all new glass anyway, so, if I'm going to change, now would be the time.  

Photo Comments
1 month 1 week ago #764667 by TCav
What I have.

1 month 1 week ago #764690 by Razky
I figure that whatever I buy ought not to affect anyone but a fool.

1 month 1 week ago #764714 by Scotty
If I had the same budget and with what I know, i'd go dslr still and load up on tons of glass for cheap. Kind of doing that now. Just ordered a 35mm f/1.4G which should be here friday.

Next is the 85mm F1/4g and a 600 f/4 VR

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
1 month 1 week ago #764722 by Chester Foster
Tempting, but honestly, I'm good with where I'm at.   But if you ever had doubts, go with what works for you. 

1 month 9 hours ago #764918 by Sandy Smith Photos
The only thing I would have done differently is invest in a good tripod vs the less priced ones that only lasted me a few years before legs get all silly.  

Photo Comments
1 month 4 hours ago #764926 by Scotty

Sandy Smith Photos wrote: The only thing I would have done differently is invest in a good tripod vs the less priced ones that only lasted me a few years before legs get all silly.  

Go Gitzo. I did 10 years ago? Flawless still.

Photo Comments
3 weeks 6 days ago #764995 by Street Shark
Scotty, which Gitzo tripod are you using?  I have a buddy  (who I just messaged) has a tripod from Gitzo, who had one of his legs giving him problems.  As soon as he sends me message on which, I'll post here. 

Photo Comments
3 weeks 5 days ago #765011 by Hassner

Street Shark wrote: Scotty, which Gitzo tripod are you using?  I have a buddy  (who I just messaged) has a tripod from Gitzo, who had one of his legs giving him problems.  As soon as he sends me message on which, I'll post here. 

I have a Gitzo tripod that I inherited from a job that I started in 1990. Then already it was old.
I use tripod less today, because noise is less and we can push Iso higher and use faster shutter speeds.
But it is still my go-to tripod today.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
3 weeks 4 days ago - 3 weeks 4 days ago #765053 by Scotty

Hassner wrote:

Street Shark wrote: Scotty, which Gitzo tripod are you using?  I have a buddy  (who I just messaged) has a tripod from Gitzo, who had one of his legs giving him problems.  As soon as he sends me message on which, I'll post here. 

I have a Gitzo tripod that I inherited from a job that I started in 1990. Then already it was old.
I use tripod less today, because noise is less and we can push Iso higher and use faster shutter speeds.
But it is still my go-to tripod today.

My gitzo was a 5 series I believe. It's about 10 years old now but looks brand new. I use a RRS BH-55 ballhead on that as well. It's a pricy combo, but man is it worth it.  Which reminds me, I need to order a new foot attachment on the bottom. Lost in the ocean in Hawaii somewhere. :D

Photo Comments
3 weeks 1 day ago #765117 by Petroguy
I thought about what I wanted when I came in and checked with friends who had more experience.  I'm happy with my choices and wouldn't change my path either.  

2 weeks 3 days ago #765251 by Alfonso Camil
You kidding?  I barely have what I have under control.  I'll stick with what I have and learn to get good with this. :toocrazy:

Photo Comments
2 weeks 3 days ago #765252 by Scotty

Alfonso Camil wrote: You kidding?  I barely have what I have under control.  I'll stick with what I have and learn to get good with this. :toocrazy:

This is the way. Only upgrade or get new gear when something limits you.  Upgrading/buying to just get new stuff just turns into gear hoarding.

Photo Comments
2 weeks 9 hours ago #765347 by Joslyn
I'd stick with Canon, but buy likely buy a different model.  Mirrorless would be the only difference.  I guess that is related to I started with a DSLR.  Seeing mirrorless is hot these days, that is where I would start over.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Concert photography is a tricky beast, and presents challenges like fast-moving action, low lighting, and considerations for other concertgoers. Learn how to get better results in this guide!

Jul 07, 2024

Black and white nature photography is a fun, yet challenging pursuit that allows you to focus viewers’ attention on the textures and patterns of nature. The result? A gorgeous stripped-down representation of nature.

Jul 07, 2024

The Vanguard Alta Sky 42 is a brand-new camera backpack that’s compact and affordable, yet holds an astonishing amount of gear. Read up on my first impressions here!

Jul 07, 2024

The Canon EOS 7D Mark II might not have the biggest sensor or the best video capabilities, but its mix of photography and video specs and a budget price make it well worth your consideration.

Jul 07, 2024

Growing plants takes a ton of time and patience, but with these new timelapses, you can see plants of all kinds grown in quick order!

Jul 03, 2024

The Canon EOS M ecosystem is full of lightweight, compact mirrorless cameras that offer a more affordable option than Canon’s EOS R family of cameras. Which EOS M camera is right for you?

Jul 01, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

Working as a professional photographer can be a creatively fulfilling and financially lucrative career.

Jun 27, 2024