Have you given up the hobby?

1 month 3 days ago #764797 by Don Granger
Photography started for me as a hobby, my favorite, something I looked forward to. I just realized this morning, I haven't been out shooting just for ME, in a long time.  Long time.  Photography is no longer a hobby, it's just work.  :(  Honestly speaking, I have no desire to get out right now.  I just want to relax and keep my camera gear in my bag.  

Work for me has taken over.  Far to many weddings, corporate events have occupied my time.  Sad.  

Is photography still a hobby for you?

Photo Comments
1 month 3 days ago #764798 by Scotty
I left the hobby around 2016-2017 and have come back into the breech ten fold.

lenses are cheap as hell now f-mount and I’m loving it.  35mm 1.4g is a mindblowing lens that I just got delivered.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
1 month 3 days ago #764799 by Don Granger
That's right, didn't you have a D3 or a D4 that recently died on you?

Photo Comments
1 month 2 days ago #764810 by Roman Omell
I've taken breaks, but still enjoy getting out with my camera for my hobby side of things. 

Photo Comments
1 month 2 days ago #764820 by TCav
I had a Minolta Srt-202 with a Rokkor 50/1.4, a Rokkor 35/2.8, and a Vivitar 135/2.8.

When Minolta came up with autofocus, I felt left behind, though I still used them. I jumped back in with a vengeance with a Nikon Coolpix 880, then a Konica-Minolta 5D.

1 month 2 days ago #764845 by Scotty

Don Granger wrote: That's right, didn't you have a D3 or a D4 that recently died on you?

D3s. Replaced it with a D4.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
1 month 2 days ago #764855 by Hassner
I just did a road trip, took my camera, abridge camera, and my phone. 
I ended up just taking phone pics.
Photos are ten a penny today, my motivation to take and process RAW images is out the window.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
1 month 9 hours ago #764913 by Greg Friedman
Happy to say no, it's an important part of my life.  Will it stay that way?  Man, I hope so.  I love getting out with my camera, wandering around looking for my next shot.  Many times not finding anything that jumps out to me, but still is relaxing just to be out with camera in hand.  

Photo Comments
3 weeks 4 days ago #765032 by Jim Photo
No, nothing major.  And major I guess I would say say more than a couple months.  Which is funny about photography, but even if I don't have my professional camera with me.  I'm always snapping off shots with my iPhone.  So I guess no if we can include that.  

Photo Comments
3 weeks 2 days ago #765092 by CharleyL
I began photography in early high school. Then became a Yearbook Photographer for the last three years of high school, using the school's Graflex Press Camera. While raising 4 children, I didn't have the funds available for the nicer photo gear, but stayed with photography with what I had. I had always hated working with the chemicals, but became much more involved in photography when digital became available. I went totally digital in 1998 and have been adding and upgrading my gear and cameras ever since.

Five years ago I realized that there was space upstairs in my large home (a former 2nd master bedroom suite) for a small, but useable, photo/video studio and began converting this former bedroom into a small photo/video studio. I have since then, just about completely replaced my cameras, lights, and gear with more modern technology. I have the space now, and can leave my setups overnight, to be able to continue another day. I can remember, back when the kids were growing, hauling what gear and camera that I had out of the closet  and pushing the furniture aside in the living room to use as my photo studio. Then putting everything back in the closet and putting the furniture back in place afterward. Photography with a studio, even a small one, is a far better way to enjoy photography and experimenting with light. I'm really enjoying photography now. 

Charley

2 weeks 6 days ago #765170 by Glen Mosley

Scotty wrote: I left the hobby around 2016-2017 and have come back into the breech ten fold.

lenses are cheap as hell now f-mount and I’m loving it.  35mm 1.4g is a mindblowing lens that I just got delivered.

What do you photograph the most? 

Photo Comments
2 weeks 3 days ago #765261 by Ian Stone
Not more than a few days,  living in the city, I'm always taking photos of something going to, or heading home from work.  

Photo Comments
1 week 4 hours ago #765549 by Kenya See
Not more than a couple weeks and that was during Covid 

Photo Comments
5 days 8 hours ago #765570 by Foggy
Covid?  I did more during Covid with photography, during my walks and product photography

Photo Comments
2 days 20 hours ago #765651 by Frost Photography
Thankfully no.

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Concert photography is a tricky beast, and presents challenges like fast-moving action, low lighting, and considerations for other concertgoers. Learn how to get better results in this guide!

Jul 07, 2024

Black and white nature photography is a fun, yet challenging pursuit that allows you to focus viewers’ attention on the textures and patterns of nature. The result? A gorgeous stripped-down representation of nature.

Jul 07, 2024

The Vanguard Alta Sky 42 is a brand-new camera backpack that’s compact and affordable, yet holds an astonishing amount of gear. Read up on my first impressions here!

Jul 07, 2024

The Canon EOS 7D Mark II might not have the biggest sensor or the best video capabilities, but its mix of photography and video specs and a budget price make it well worth your consideration.

Jul 07, 2024

Growing plants takes a ton of time and patience, but with these new timelapses, you can see plants of all kinds grown in quick order!

Jul 03, 2024

The Canon EOS M ecosystem is full of lightweight, compact mirrorless cameras that offer a more affordable option than Canon’s EOS R family of cameras. Which EOS M camera is right for you?

Jul 01, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

Working as a professional photographer can be a creatively fulfilling and financially lucrative career.

Jun 27, 2024