Your method of concealment with wildlife photography?

1 month 2 days ago #764842 by Glen Mosley
I've been trying to get out and photograph birds and frankly what ever I can find.  Curious question though - when you are out photographing wildlife, be it birds or deer or what ever.  Are you actively using any concealment clothing at all? 

Photo Comments
1 month 2 days ago #764847 by Razky

Glen Mosley wrote: I've been trying to get out and photograph birds and frankly what ever I can find. Curious question though - when you are out photographing wildlife, be it birds or deer or what ever.  Are you actively using any concealment clothing at all? 

Camouflage clothing and - just as important - study and become familiar with the habits of your subjects. I've not seen a need to camouflage my lens or tripod, but many do. A small pup-tent, set up in advance so birds and animals get used to it makes an excellent blind. Stay downwind when photographing most animals and game birds.

1 month 2 days ago - 1 month 2 days ago #764856 by TCav
In general, animals can see well into the ultraviolet, but can't see red or even orange well, which they perceive as black. So reds are good. Also, try not to cast a shadow, and try to remain still.

1 month 1 day ago #764868 by CharleyL
In addition to attempting some kind of camouflage, avoid deodorant, after shave, etc when about to go out for wildlife photography. They don't like human scent or our scent cover-ups and will be long gone well before you get there. A fresh shower with un-scented soap that morning, and without the usual human scent cover-ups will be best. Orange tarps and tents, while easy to see by us, do work when attempting to hide from the animals.

Charley

1 month 1 day ago #764895 by TCav

CharleyL wrote: In addition to attempting some kind of camouflage, avoid deodorant, after shave, etc when about to go out for wildlife photography. They don't like human scent or our scent cover-ups and will be long gone well before you get there. A fresh shower with un-scented soap that morning, and without the usual human scent cover-ups will be best.

True. Humans stink (Lume notwithstanding.)

1 month 1 day ago #764899 by Clark Guay
Wait do birds smell us too? 

1 month 23 hours ago #764903 by TCav

Clark Guay wrote: Wait do birds smell us too? 

Glen Mosley wrote: ... be it birds or deer or what ever.

4 weeks 1 day ago #764933 by Sandy Smith Photos
Only wildlife I have photographed is birds and I just wear what I normally do

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Concert photography is a tricky beast, and presents challenges like fast-moving action, low lighting, and considerations for other concertgoers. Learn how to get better results in this guide!

Jul 07, 2024

Black and white nature photography is a fun, yet challenging pursuit that allows you to focus viewers’ attention on the textures and patterns of nature. The result? A gorgeous stripped-down representation of nature.

Jul 07, 2024

The Vanguard Alta Sky 42 is a brand-new camera backpack that’s compact and affordable, yet holds an astonishing amount of gear. Read up on my first impressions here!

Jul 07, 2024

The Canon EOS 7D Mark II might not have the biggest sensor or the best video capabilities, but its mix of photography and video specs and a budget price make it well worth your consideration.

Jul 07, 2024

Growing plants takes a ton of time and patience, but with these new timelapses, you can see plants of all kinds grown in quick order!

Jul 03, 2024

The Canon EOS M ecosystem is full of lightweight, compact mirrorless cameras that offer a more affordable option than Canon’s EOS R family of cameras. Which EOS M camera is right for you?

Jul 01, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

Working as a professional photographer can be a creatively fulfilling and financially lucrative career.

Jun 27, 2024