Dropped camera in sink full of water!!

13 years 1 month ago #36928 by Mah and PaH
Last night I was trying to photograph a water droplet hitting a pool of water. Well my pool of water was my kitchen sink nearly full of water with my D80 on my tripod with the head extended side ways so the 105mm lens was right on top of the water drop hitting the surface.

My daughter came over and her 2 year old little boy ran over to my tripod and before I could get over to my camera/tripod he bumped into the tripod enough to cause the tripod to tip over and dunk my lens and camera into the sink water! :pinch:

I quickly removed the memory card, battery and lens and started to pat try everything. I even brought out a hair dryer and on very low heat and holding it far from the camera I kept warm air blowing on it. I could see some moisture around the lens mount, the memory card was wet when I pulled it out.

I'm just hoping the electronics didn't get wet. It's been almost 24 hours now since this happened. I haven't turned on the camera yet. Do you think it's safe to? Or is there anything else I should do prior to putting a battery back into it?

Thank you so much for any help or advice you can give!

-M

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #36929 by Baydream
Put it in a bag of rice. The rice will absorb moisture. I know it sounds weird but it has worked on other electronics.

One of my friends had a similar accident with his Canon XSi. The only negative when it was over is that the port for the remote shutter does not work.

Good luck.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #36931 by Joves
Well you did good getting the battery out right away, that is usually where people make a mistake and dont. How much water got into the body is really the question. If it was very little then I would let it dry a couple of days, using the method Bay said. If it was alot then I would wait longer.

13 years 1 month ago #36936 by One Wish
Oh man, and I thought I had it bad with my defective memory card I'm dealing with! That sucks! Good luck with that!

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37049 by alley
Yes, definitely try the rice. We capsized our canoe last year and my husbands cell phone was in his pocket. We buried it in rice for a day and when we put the battery back it in fired right up. Good luck.

13 years 1 month ago #37074 by Mah and PaH
Thank you. Not to ask a dumb question, but do you have to worry about rice getting into the camera?

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #37079 by Cjarvis

Mah and PaH wrote: Thank you. Not to ask a dumb question, but do you have to worry about rice getting into the camera?

That would make sense to me. I did something like that once with my old canon but it was a lake. i put it in a fire dept hose dryer fo 48 hrs, thay remove the moister from the enviorment instead of useing heat to prevent dameg to the hose, it worked and my canon still works today. Dont know if the fire dept will let you use ther dryer but if you let it dry long enogh the camera should work agin.

13 years 1 month ago #37092 by Baydream

Mah and PaH wrote: Thank you. Not to ask a dumb question, but do you have to worry about rice getting into the camera?

If your camera can keep dust out, it can keep ourt rice. If you are worried, set it in a bowl surrounded by the rice. The desiccants (silica gel) you can buy in craft stores to dry flowers will do the same. I save those little packages that come in all electronics packages (including your camera) in a safe place (baggie in a jar) just in case I need them.

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37093 by crystal
I have had my D80 in many rain storms, with no protection. My D80 and I would be soaked from head to toe. Come home, dry the camera off, and it still works today.
You be surprise how much water a camera can take.
13 years 1 month ago #37094 by crystal

Mah and PaH wrote: My daughter came over and her 2 year old little boy ran over to my tripod and before I could get over to my camera/tripod he bumped into the tripod enough to cause the tripod to tip over and dunk my lens and camera into the sink water! :pinch:

And this is why, I do not have, nor want children.
13 years 1 month ago #37099 by Baydream

Crystal wrote:

Mah and PaH wrote: My daughter came over and her 2 year old little boy ran over to my tripod and before I could get over to my camera/tripod he bumped into the tripod enough to cause the tripod to tip over and dunk my lens and camera into the sink water! :pinch:

Photo Comments
Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago #37114 by Mah and PaH

Baydream wrote:

Crystal wrote:

I'm trying not to smile but can't help it looking at this photo. After I grabbed the camera out and did what I could that evening, I turned around and my daughters little boy realizing something was wrong with grandma, was in the corner of room with look very similiar to this! :rofl: awwwww.... I couldn't show I was disappointed. I was so caught up in the moment and didn't consider how he was perceive grandma acting like a nut to dry off her camera! :whistle: :pinch:

13 years 1 month ago #37211 by digishutterbug
No help for a camera, but I once washed my tv remote in washing machine with bed linnen. Once I found it I thought well it's probably dead but just incase it wasn't I took out the batteries and threw it in the drier with the sheet. Afterwards put new batteries in and it worked fine. Camera would get more damage being knocked about.

This sounds stupid but it just occurred to me, what about an EXTREMELY low oven to dry it out?

13 years 1 month ago #37216 by crystal

Baydream wrote:

Crystal wrote:

That crying baby is only part of why I do not want kids. lol
13 years 1 month ago #37217 by crystal

digishutterbug wrote: No help for a camera, but I once washed my tv remote in washing machine with bed linnen. Once I found it I thought well it's probably dead but just incase it wasn't I took out the batteries and threw it in the drier with the sheet. Afterwards put new batteries in and it worked fine. Camera would get more damage being knocked about.

This sounds stupid but it just occurred to me, what about an EXTREMELY low oven to dry it out?

Anyone up for a camera cake? :rofl:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024