Saturation highlights =10
saturation shadows =4
Smoothing settings;
Micro smoothing =15
Highlights smoothing =51
shadows smoothing = 36
shadows clipping = 20
Tone compressor all set at 0 midway or 0.0%

These seemed to be good starting points and you can tweak them from there for what you want, a lot of my early ones seem to get over done and have an almost cartoon effect or harsh look to them, there are so many settings that photomatix needs a lot of practice and what works on one photo might not work on another, when you get one that works save the settings as a .xmp file so you can reuse them easily.
cheers
Steve

13 years 5 months ago #4538 by Overread
Thanks for the settings, does Photomatix have a trial version? I would like to try out to see if I might have fun with that program

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #4548 by jrjohns2
Here is where many people got their start, from Trey Ratcliffe, AKA Stuck In Customs:
www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/

Very comprehensive and informative HDR tutorials.

As for my own experience, there are merits of single and multiple exposure, but be aware that APS-C sensors, like those in the prosumer DSLR's only capture 3 stops of available light, giving you only +1,0,-1 to work with and a limited dynamic range from a single exposure. In contrast, professional cameras with FX sensors can give you up to 5 stops, and B&W film gives up to 7 (which is why so many photgs still use B&W film). For single exposure, you can get a good HDR photo if you dont need a big dynamic range to work with (situatioons where most of the exposure has minimal diffferences in lighting). See below for one of my examples:

img\def

skyline by trippysg2003 , on Flickr

img\def

Centennial Olympic Park by trippysg2003 , on Flickr

For multiple exposures, you will gather much more information about the lighting in dark and bright areas, allowing for more information on detail in these regions to be displayed, which is really the effect HDR was designed for. For this you will need a tripod to minimize movement of the body and lens. If you're steady and working in excellent light, you might be able to get away with handheld but its generally not an option. You can autobracket with the D90, and should for most situations where there is not a huge difference in light and dark. +2,0,-2 should cover the range you need here. For larger differences though, you will need more exposures, and can do this manually, I would recommend +3,+2,+1,0,-1,-2,-3 for shooting in the woods with the sunlight coming through the forest ceiling. Remember that Nikon uses a 1/3 EV adjustment system, so to get +1 stop manually you have to go 3 shutter speeds up. While Im on this, dont forget that changing your aperture changes your depth of field, so only do this in A mode or M mode taking care only to adjust shutter speed.

Now, onto processing. You can use Photoshop, but most recommend Photomatix or HDR Expose software. I use Photomatix and love it. Just get familiar with the software with some single images(must be RAW for single exposures) and work your way up to multiples. The first frustrating thing you will encounter in multiple exposures is probably going to be slight movements you werent even aware of. It happens, and so will ghosting when it does, but just keep at it and work on getting your camera as still as possible.

Heres a couple multiple exposures Ive done in the past coupel years:

img\def

Downtown Cleveland by trippysg2003 , on Flickr

img\def

Atlanta Airport by trippysg2003 , on Flickr

13 years 4 months ago #5509 by Mike Ayrouth

jrjohns2 wrote: Here is where many people got their start, from Trey Ratcliffe, AKA Stuck In Customs:

As for my own experience, there are merits of single and multiple exposure, but be aware that APS-C sensors, like those in the prosumer DSLR's only capture 3 stops of available light, giving you only +1,0,-1 to work with and a limited dynamic range from a single exposure. In contrast, professional cameras with FX sensors can give you up to 5 stops, and B&W film gives up to 7 (which is why so many photgs still use B&W film). For single exposure, you can get a good HDR photo if you dont need a big dynamic range to work with (situatioons where most of the exposure has minimal diffferences in lighting). See below for one of my examples:

img\def

img\def

For multiple exposures, you will gather much more information about the lighting in dark and bright areas, allowing for more information on detail in these regions to be displayed, which is really the effect HDR was designed for. For this you will need a tripod to minimize movement of the body and lens. If you're steady and working in excellent light, you might be able to get away with handheld but its generally not an option. You can autobracket with the D90, and should for most situations where there is not a huge difference in light and dark. +2,0,-2 should cover the range you need here. For larger differences though, you will need more exposures, and can do this manually, I would recommend +3,+2,+1,0,-1,-2,-3 for shooting in the woods with the sunlight coming through the forest ceiling. Remember that Nikon uses a 1/3 EV adjustment system, so to get +1 stop manually you have to go 3 shutter speeds up. While Im on this, dont forget that changing your aperture changes your depth of field, so only do this in A mode or M mode taking care only to adjust shutter speed.

Now, onto processing. You can use Photoshop, but most recommend Photomatix or HDR Expose software. I use Photomatix and love it. Just get familiar with the software with some single images(must be RAW for single exposures) and work your way up to multiples. The first frustrating thing you will encounter in multiple exposures is probably going to be slight movements you werent even aware of. It happens, and so will ghosting when it does, but just keep at it and work on getting your camera as still as possible.

img\def

img\def

The wing and the last airport photo are incredible

Getting BETTER one photo at a time!
Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #6204 by Dan Dangerfield

jrjohns2 wrote: Here is where many people got their start, from Trey Ratcliffe, AKA Stuck In Customs:

img\def

img\def

img\def

img\def

Awesome shots!

13 years 3 months ago #7833 by The Gardener
Those airport shots are amazing

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024